Super Jet Defoaming my ski. Suggestions needed

Well I made the mistake of starting to defoam my ski last night. I'm using a few screwdrivers and have busted about half of my knuckles trying to scrape out the old foam. It was full of water and the foam was soaked so it's not really a mistake just a headache. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier tool to scrape the old foam out with? Here's my progress so far...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 163
screw drivers, pry bars, putty knife, shop vac, and can use a wire wheel in places. its pain and there isnt a real easy way about it. just stay at it is the best advice.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Yep, it's really time consuming. Use a big screwdriver to get all the super wet stuff out, then take a wire brush/wheel on a drill and go to town, along with a shop vac. That'll really speed it up!! Trust me, get out a drill and put a wire brush attachment on it. It helps an absolute ton. You'll get it.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
Yep what Roseand said I think that's the worst thing about skis ..Defoaming

Once you get most of it out, A pressure washer (car wash ) will get the remainder . And pull that motor out or put your hood on

I went to town for a couple of hours last night and man I'm feeling it today. It doesn't help that I'm using a midget ski stand so I'm hunkered over the ski. Also just I just suck the water out with a shopvac or drill a hole in the hull to drain it? There's a ton of water in it. I'm saving all of my foam to see how much it weighs. So far it's quite a bit. Already have a trash bag full.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I would plan on adding a drain system to evacuate future water. Figure out where and how you want to do that and drain the water then (sucking it out with a wetvac works too) Or just chop 4" off the back now while you have it open.

High Speed Industries

Your one stop shop for quality parts @highspeedind
I used a drill with a flat blade hole saw thingy. You had to be aggressive, but if you drag it firmly against the foam while spinning it shreds/removes the foam quite easily. You can see what I'm talking about in my build thread.
http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/rdrttoys-2008-super-jet-build.127160/
I tried to make my thread very informative so it could help people with their future builds.

so the easiest way is to find a location you don't mind getting dirty, get a pressure washer, clothes you don't mind chucking. took me two hours to get it spotless, no busted knuckles.

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
The ski clinic posted a vid when they installed some foot holds and they used a reciprocating saw and cut it up first. Here is the vid. Not sure it will work for your application, but worth a try.

modularjunk

day dreaming
Site Supporter
what ever you use just BE CAREFUL OF COOLING LINES, DRIVESHAFT TUBE AND EXHAUST

ive seen many people use power tools and cut right though them and open another can of worm with leaking cooling lines and exhaust

i used a power scraper and went right through it then power washed the little that was left and residue took about 2 hrs start to finish

Power scraper it is then. I used a couple of screwdrivers last night and what you see above is my progress after 2.5 hours. But that also includes the time to cut the tray and figure out the best option to cut.

Well I got the ski cleaned out and am ready for the pink foam. When installing it should I put 5200 anywhere inside the tray before i lay new foam? When putting the foam in can I use long thick pieces or do I need to use thin short pieces? Anything I need to be aware of before putting the new foam in and glassing the tray back in?

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Make sure you add drain plugs. I used full size drainplugs like the ones in a couch that I purchased from Jetmaniac. It'd be a smart idea to put 5200 around all of the thru hull tubes! Also, I'd recommend adding a trim tube and a cooling line for future use. 1/2 pvc pipe for the trim tube, and 3/8 aluminum or stainless pipe for the cooling.
It doesn't mater that much how you put the foam in.Just fill it up good. I found it not too easy to get long pieces in mine, so I cut them up a little bit.
You can see pics at the bottom of the first post here: http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?thre...foam-engine-rebuild-all-the-good-stuff.14609/

I plan on getting two drain plugs and adding a scupper. Also your link didn't work. I thought about getting a trim set up but after buying a b pipe, the thought of spending more money just sucks haha. I'm curious to see how you set it up though

Well I made the mistake of starting to defoam my ski last night. I'm using a few screwdrivers and have busted about half of my knuckles trying to scrape out the old foam. It was full of water and the foam was soaked so it's not really a mistake just a headache. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easier tool to scrape the old foam out with? Here's my progress so far...

I used an air saw and just made a bunch of passes. Chips out real easy with a screw driver especially the wet stuff. Just make sure you know where your stock bilge, exhaust, cables, and cooling is before you start to go crazy.

Top Bottom