Dent in top of Piston?

Just took the head off a new to me waveblaster that I just got back from painting. Anyhow the rear piston looks like this. Anybody have any ideas on what causes this type of damage?

Attachments

• DSC01695.jpg
    DSC01695.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 235

750SX

DO IT
Possibly, but I would check some other things.

Check for airleaks. Make sure your fuel pump/pumps are working correctly.

I bought the ski like this. I stripped the entire ski but left the crankcase, cylinders, head and manifolds in place in the hull. I had it painted and decided to take the head( a twist billet head BTW) off and look at the cylinders. This is what I found. The front cylinder is very clean, very little carbon. The back cylinder is as the picture shows. The cylinder walls look perfect. The dome in the head above this piston has a small chip in the o-ring area outside the combustion chamber. I am sure that detonation is the cause of the dent and that this engine was close to having a very expensive repair bill. I just finished rebuilding the carbs. I can't remember what the compression was before I took it all apart. I did not write it down but I remember thinking it was high enough that it needed race gas and not just straight 93.(Previous owner ran 93 in it) Good thing is I found out about it now while it is a relatively cheap repair job.

B8ES on the plugs.

Just yanked the jugs off. A very light scoring in that cylinder hole. A light honing should fix. The rods seem to be good. The lower end is good and clean. Oddly enough there is not any distortion on the bottomside of that piston. I'd expect there to be a bulge or something. Just a little carbon build up. The top ring was stuck in it's groove. A lot of carbon build up in the ringland area.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
B8ES on the plugs.

Just yanked the jugs off. A very light scoring in that cylinder hole. A light honing should fix. The rods seem to be good. The lower end is good and clean. Oddly enough there is not any distortion on the bottomside of that piston. I'd expect there to be a bulge or something. Just a little carbon build up. The top ring was stuck in it's groove. A lot of carbon build up in the ringland area.

Based on you saying you expected to see a bulge, I have to comment - you do know that the "dent" in the top of the piston is literally the aluminum of the piston top eaten away by the detonation, right? If it had gone much longer you would have had a nice hole and total loss of compression in that cylinder. I'm not trying to sound like I know anything ( I don't ha ha) but felt the need to clarify here.

Yeah, I just expected the under neath to show some sign of damage. I cleaned the piston up with some motor decarb spray and the dent is just where the aluminum has been eaten away.

it looks like older problem to me , its full of carbon . mine was clean new looking. the last guy might have fixed the problem and not the piston, been there done that. i would still go over it well but if you dont find it thats because he did it already.

id check your plugs. detonation looks different. Looks to me like your running REALLY hot. i had a dirt bike that did this all the time, i put in colder plugs and it ran mint for years.

reconsider the compression and running race gas....what compression did you have ?
Make sure the carburator ( dual carbs ) is jetted,screws everything identical to the other one, make sure pump is delivering...

cmeripper26

Ripper26
Are you running an aftermarket ignition. Depending on the timing curve programmed, you could be burning a whole right into the piston surface. An ignition setting alone can cause this. I run an Advent T3 and always run one timing curve less than the motor is set for because of this as a possible prob. Other than that everyone else is right to, that is one lean running engine! Good luck with the fix.

Top Bottom