Freestyle Destroyed Bendix and Starter... Bad alligment?

Hi
My Engine destroyed 2 OEM and 1 China Junk bendix within about 10 hours.
The brand new oem Starter is also broken now.
What is happening there? Maybe the gears wont fit good? How can i measure or fix it?
Iam going to order new Parts now, but if i wont change anything, the engine will destroy the Parts again.

Anybody got similar Problems?

Engine is a 1200 EME with GP800 Starter and Oem Bendix. Only running 180 Psi

Thanks

99cda1a87becfc795d9125fe08e71d44.jpg

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
How's the bronze bushing that the bendix sits in? Might be what us southerners call wallered out

Mine did the same thing but worse couple weeks ago, different brand 1200.. I had two things going on, (1) rear combustion chamber oring letting water in the rear cylinder, pisser was spitting while running in water (2) strange ignition issue causing too much cranking timing or a cylinder to fire too early, engine was kicking back bad on start up even after oring issue was taken care of. No amount of static timing adjustments fixed mine, had to replace the CDI

Iam at 12 degree of start timing, fires instantly

Hi
Eme case... And a gpr 800 starter.
Bushings Are ok, and not worn out.
Its 100% dry inside. Engine is not kicking back i think. Running 30 static Timing with tl.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

So it Cranks over easy, no intermitant starter straining during cranking just before it fires off and runs ?

Start retard is on I imagine

Might check your cranking timing with a light and then verify the total timing

Your TL is it msd or epic ?

Msd tl. Set static few days ago. Must be Right. Start retard is on. Just this
Stupid Sound when the gears from starter and bendix just Jump over all the time.
Could it be alligment Problem?

This sound of gears jumping, does it do that right away with new gears or after the 10 hour failure happens ?

If the noise is right way yes you could have a gear contact depth issue or the like.

I have some billet cases here with the bendix pocket machined .100 too tall so anythings possible

Maybe when you get your new starter and bendix try to measure your gear contact depth and visually inspect its contact depth for any signs of shallow contact.. Might also have a look at your cover when installing to see if it pushing the bendix to one side.

Have you tried contacting EME on this ?

Its not from beginning. After some Time it Happen.
It was a Rebuild Engine. I ask cause the starter is worn out too.
Can i get the bushings seperate?

Might have a look at the bushing for being oval shaped too. I would imagine the bushing is available

Edit: both kaw and Yamaha parts catologe list the bushing separately

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Put bendix into case bushing backwards and rock it side to side and up and down to feel how much play there is. Then put bendix nose into flycover and test again to compare. Case bushings are under high loading while cranking and can wear out easily.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Nothing is. It gets easier the more times you have to do it though. Ask me how I know. I still think it's timing. Happened to me on a ATP total loss with exact same symptoms. Verify that you have start retard on.

My timing is set at 30 degree advance. With Msd TL. This is pretty normal Setup....
6ff99b826e79164567cc3484963efc02.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, i think thats the Main Problem Here

Top Bottom