did I get a good deal? new sj!!

CarFanatic

Fiberglassing Newb
I"m sure a few of you have read my other posts, that I have been looking for a SJ and I finnaly bought one today. Its a 99 and I paid 3g for it. I"m sure thats a tad much, but it looks to be in excellent condition and I talked to the guy he gave me the whole run down about it. here is what the add said, and a few pics give your opinons on waht you think.

This 1999 Yamaha Super-Jet truly has less than 10 hours on it! It is in near perfect condition minus a few little scratches around the hood where it hinges.It is all stock and very well maintained. I bought it brand new in 1999 and rode it just about 4 times over the next 4 years, always in fresh water! I have not had it in the water since 2004, but i still flush it, fog the cylinders, and polish it every three months. Pay attention to how clean the engine compartment is and how the chrome head bolts are not rusted at all. I am a perfectionist and am not afraid at all of someone buying this machine from a thousand miles away, SIGHT UN-SEEN!!!

sj1.jpg

sj2.jpg

sj3.jpg

sj4.jpg

sj5.jpg

sj6.jpg

sj7.jpg

sj8.jpg

sj9.jpg

sj10.jpg

sj11.jpg

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
you did alright price wise.

the same money could have bought you a boat in worse condition with some aftermarket ad ons that you will want pretty soon, BUT there is alot of piece of mind in a stock unmolested boat.

Id say you did well since that was what you were looking for.

now, get out and ride that Biatch.

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
:arms: :arms: :arms: For a Super Clean Unmolested Superjet I think you did very well. :arms: :arms: :arms:

It looks spotless inside I like that:purr: :purr: :purr: :purr:

CarFanatic

Fiberglassing Newb
ya it is exactly what I was looking for! I"m really exctied I have wanted one of these my whole life since I started riding skis at age 14. Which I still have both of my 94 xp's.

I like to do the mods myself, so I Wanted an unmolested ski in as good of shape as I could find. I've been checking the boards, and websites every morning, when I saw this I jumped as fast as I could!

Now you guys need to tell me what I need to do first! I know I Want to do foot holds! How do I get rid of the spray jet??

I would probably start with an intake grate and ride plate first as these will make a huge difference over the stock junk.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
the spray jet has 2 bolts on either side, remove them, remove it.

you need an impeller, pipe and footholds.

EDIT- yes Marz is right about the intake grate. ( something more aggressive than stock worx 201 or jet dynamics)

I prefer a stock plate with a D shaped cutout though.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
it just unbolts (spray jet)

Honestly, here is the order of parts that you really need to be able to ride it and have fun. (not your major hopup parts)

1. UMI 0 degree bars with crossbar (Freestyle)
2. Worx Intake Grate
3. Rideplate (preference)
4. Rule 500 GPH Bilge Pump
These right here will make your ski handle much better, more enjoyable to ride.

then..........
5. Factory "B" Pipe
5A> MSD Enhancer or Modified Stock CDI to disable the rev limiter.
6. Solas or Skat Prop (Concord or Freeride)
7. Either Mill the stock head or get an aftermark Head (ADA) to raise compresstion

these are all motor mods.......

8. Footholds and Turf..........

Now go ride!

Boris

The Good Old Days
You just need the bars.

Nice virgin you have there, I love boats in that shape.
Now go cut her up. :biggthumpup:

Intake grate,
prop,
bars.

Ride and have fun.

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
for the umi bars do you need a whole umi system, or just the bars and that plate?

Bilge pump most likley be my first purchase.

You did great! You'll have a lot of fun and satisfaction modifying that ski knowing that you started with a virgin. As far as bilge pumps go, just head to your local Wal Mart and pick up an Attwood 500gph pump to mount under the driveshaft (remove the coupler cover for access - two bolts at the front and a rubber grommet at the rear). You can stick it down with 5200 cement - also at Wal Mart right my the pumps.

Hands down I'd get a Worx 20 intake grate before you do anything else: I think that's about the best thing anyone starting out on a Superjet can do. You'll learn much faster and love it much more.

Get yourself some kind of footwear too (that won't get ripped off by the jet pump). That stock padding is very slippery when wet, and you won't want to replace it until you get around to installing footholds (not a priority for a while). A lot of people use wrestling shoes - myself included: take a look at asics. The wetsuit makers all have a line of shoes too.

Have fun!! And say goodbye to your paycheck....

Top Bottom