Diesel Jet Skis

Boris

The Good Old Days
Jeep has made a 4cyl turbo diesel for years -- just not sold in the US.

The Euro build (or assembled) Jeep gets a local diesel.
Europe has been leading the diesel band wagon for years with the % of diesel to gas powered passenger cars growing steadily.

They are nothing like the Cummins or Power Stroke monsters in the US.
They can be quiet and very efficient but have become more and more complicated.

I don't think a CDI would do good in the wet environment.

I drive a CDI diesel every day and wonder why anyone ever bothers with gas or dinosaur diesels in work vehicles.

meatball

User Title Unavailable
Talk about expensive high compression ADA heads!

I think that it could work it a 3-seater, where the weight isnt much an issue (read: 900 pounds). But in a standup, I dont think they could make it light enough to make it work. An no, I dont think that added torque would make a difference. It would make for a reliable 800 stroker type superjet, but then it'd be pretty heavy. And the RPM's are much different for a diesel then a gas engine, you'd probably need some gears to rev up the RPM or prop it really weird.

I think GM is coming out with a smaller diesel for their trucks also. Most of the people who buy a full size diesel truck never use it for what it is made for. I would sooner have 150 hp and 35 mpg than 500 hp and 15 mpg.

Ford is coming out with a v6 diesel in the f150 next year

About time they got off their Azzes on that. International Diesel built the engine plant in Huntsville, AL 6 years ago solely for that purpose but Ford pulled the plug. If that's where they are still going to make them then they'll be top notch. I toured the plant while they were making V8's just to utilize the plant and the Quality department had trouble getting them to fail.

i dont see any problem w/ this fitting in a SJ hull....

rta96c_crank.jpg

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
I just happened to have one of those 2 stroke diesels. It came from a Ford Dump truck. Its sitting in one of our barns and I have been thinking of re-using this baby for something. When it ran, beleive me, it was extremely loud! Its a bit to big to squeeze in a PWC, even a sitdown.

Almost all early diesels are two stroke. I hava scrapyard near my work that runs them in all the yard haulers. LOUD.

I have a friend that has a diesel truck and makes his own biodiesel from fryer grease, when you drive near him you become so hungry it's weird. His fuel ends up costing him around 50 cents a gallon.

I also hve a friend that has a diesel generator that is small for the power output due to the much higher torque that the diesel produces.

Could be cool if they can do it and put a small turbo too. It'd be a strech for a standup though.

goXtreme

Winter Sux
At my job, we run Detroit diesels in almost everything, and they are all 2-stroke, we have everything from small 2 cylenders to the V-12 monsters, the sad part about the V-12's is that the new 60 series is a inline 6 and puts out more power, but I do not know if them are 2-stroke or not.

They are good engines, but damn they are loud, we have extremely quiet exhaust systems on them and the engine noise is still so loud that you have to wear ear plugs within 50 feet of them when they are WFO.

Y

yamaslut

At my job, we run Detroit diesels in almost everything, and they are all 2-stroke, we have everything from small 2 cylenders to the V-12 monsters, the sad part about the V-12's is that the new 60 series is a inline 6 and puts out more power, but I do not know if them are 2-stroke or not.

They are good engines, but damn they are loud, we have extremely quiet exhaust systems on them and the engine noise is still so loud that you have to wear ear plugs within 50 feet of them when they are WFO.

yes..... very loud

2002zxi

Got old, bought another ski
Dont think it will make it in a SU but maybe a sitdown. Looks like the auto industry is changing. I wouldn't mind having a clean, quiet diesel in my ride but I don't want to have to buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck just to have it. They need to make one for the half ton truck/SUV so we can still retain some semblance of a ride. Here in SoCal, the frickin expansion joints on the concrete freeways will knock your teeth loose in a F250/350.

Racing, in 2009 there's supposed to be half-ton diesels again ! You could get a 6.5 liter diesel in a chebby pickup already if you wanted to... in a 90s model. Those engines are trash though

Top Bottom