Super Jet difference betwen stock 144mm pump, and a stat trak mag pump. 144mm

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I tried a bored 84mm nozzle and found that it lost steam way too quickly. The 82.6mm nozzle was a huge difference, lots of punch all the way to the top.

Its all about the surf!
Make no mistake, I'm a member of the mag pump cult. My mag out performs my OEM every where except in SMOOTH water, which is what I originally posted. I'm thinking every one claiming huge gains on SMOOTH have a huge motor to push their mag pumps so they're really comparing Apples to Oranges

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Just a 61X big bore here (754cc), nothing "huge".

A few years ago, I bought a used 144 mag with whatever impeller came with it. I don't even remember. I couldn't tell a damn bit of difference over my stock pump on flat, so I sold it.
But I didn't spend any time whatsoever trying to tune the pump to the rest of the driveline.
So this time around with the 140, I knew it was going to be set up right and matched to the rest of my setup. And what do you know, huge gains everywhere.
I don't know your setup and I am not a pump tuning guru.
I'm just relating my own experiences. And those are simply that the mag pump was the single best performance add on I made. (yes, on flat)

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I tried a bored 84mm nozzle and found that it lost steam way too quickly. The 82.6mm nozzle was a huge difference, lots of punch all the way to the top.

I think the nozzle on my SE system is down around 82mm and it has tons of thrust as well, almost too much in fact. Between the Mag pump and my SE Reduction/Steering nozzle, My ski feels like it has 20HP more than an identical ski with a stock pump, TBM stuffer and Mag impeller. Because the Mag flows so much more water, I really think that you have to seriously reconsider the nozzle diameter when switching to a mag and not just the impeller.

The gains of the Mag are undeniable in traction, hookup and thrust but just like any other pump, it's not that simple. You still need to tune them in for your ski/power and riding style. As some of you may be aware, I have spent the last several months tuning my ski and finally turned my attention to my Mag pump. I believe that any racer would love my setup, (that I just happened to stumble upon) but it is working against me for my riding style, (Surf only).

For those that say they weren't impressed with a mag, I say you either tried a poorly setup pump or possibly came off a very well dialed in OEM one. There are a ton of riders out there that can dial in an OEM pump too so of course this will never be an apple sto apples comparison. What I will say with a great amount of confidence is that a poorly tuned Mag is still a huge improvement over even a decently tuned OEM pump.

While I am finding that I am preffering to surf ride my ski with an OEM pump, I am determined to find the best of both worlds and keep my Mag. The whitewater hookup, zero hesitation and increased thrust are just way too incredible to give up.

Last edited:

OCD Solutions

Make no mistake, I'm a member of the mag pump cult. My mag out performs my OEM every where except in SMOOTH water, which is what I originally posted. I'm thinking every one claiming huge gains on SMOOTH have a huge motor to push their mag pumps so they're really comparing Apples to Oranges

What dia. exit nozzle are you running?

Its all about the surf!
How would you tune your pump? Would that be a combination of impellor pitch, washers behind the impellor, tail cone size and exit bore diameter? Any suggestions?

Matt_E

Site Supporter
How would you tune your pump? Would that be a combination of impellor pitch, washers behind the impellor, tail cone size and exit bore diameter? Any suggestions?

Yes, it's my understanding that the pump tuning only starts with impeller pitch. Then there's impeller setback amount, exit nozzle diameter and shape, and pump cone (don't forget that Skat pumps have three cones available!)
I think it's way too many variables to accidentally get right. The performance difference I got by changing only the exit nozzle diameter 1.4mm (!!!) was significant.
Unfortunately, I can't offer suggestions. I just go by what the guy that puts my driveline together tells me. Seems to work so far, though.

OCD Solutions

All of the above. What you really have to ask yourself first is, where I am at now and where do I want to end up. That will ultimately determine what you need to work on.

Currently I seem to have a great race setup. My ski hooks up instantly, stands the ski upright immediately, tries to yank your arms off and accelerates all the way to the top with zero lag or hesitation and it does it from any speed, in any water condition and from any rpm. While this sounds great at first and would be ideal for some, it can be quite exhausting in the surf and very unforgiving if you hit the throttle at the wrong time. So far I have tried shimming my pump and a couple different impeller's with varying improvement. What is really killing me still is the acceleration and that comes down to my nozzle size. even though I built my ski for bottom end, I can still top out over 60MPH so when I punch the throttle I pick up way too much speed. I run a very expensive and fairly rare Sato Engineering Trim setup so I have been very hesitant to mod the diameter at all which probably should have been one of my very first mods. I now have an OEM exit nozzle that I am going to bore out in stages as a trial.

I also dropped from a Skat 14/19 down to a Hooker 11/17 which works very well with the SS865 in both the Mag and OEM pump.

Last edited:

Its all about the surf!
A lot of varibles here to consider and I'm sure that each pump set up will have to match the HP (limited, Mild mod, stupid big , etc) I'm going to see Art soon so I'll pick his brain. I'll post up his advice, Art has always been spot on with me also.

KR

www.krlines.com
DOH! John! Thats why your ski was so awesome! I forgot you had a magnum pump! I was scratching my head all day Thursday trying to figure out why your ski was kicking so much ass...

Its all about the surf!
DOH! John! Thats why your ski was so awesome! I forgot you had a magnum pump! I was scratching my head all day Thursday trying to figure out why your ski was kicking so much ass...

Kevin you we're riding the ski that DOESN'T have the mag pump! That ski has an OEM pump with a Hooker 11/17. Maybe my OEM pump just so happens to be tuned really good??? That's why I'm pretty baffled with some of the comments/claims on here

OCD Solutions

The Hooker props are proving to be a very good innovation as well so some of the better than average results in OEM pumps may be due to that as well. I know that in my recent experiments, I tried an 11/17 Hooker in my Mag and in the OEM pump and was impressed with both setups. Where previously the reccomendation of pump combo for the SS865 package was a 14/19 C75 with OEM pump and TBM Stuffer, I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend an 11/17 Hooker in a bone stock pump, (In the surf anyways).

Top Bottom