do i need to refoam??

i have a long crack in the corner of my tray. when i push down on the area i can see down to the foam. water has seeped in. is it necessary for me to refoam or should i be ok just fiberglassing over it to reinforce the tray?

YAMA CAT

Catnip Junkie!
You will need to refoam eventually. I say do a quicky repair now and then then take your time refoam and reinforce the off season.
just .02 cents

if u do put in waterproof foam such as extruded polystyrene and drain plugs like on sit down skis....do a search under section ski build ups...btw a saturated foam ski can weigh over 40 pounds heavier...I heard someone claim 60 lbs more on here....

CoreyLKN

LKN Freestyle Militia
Just seal it up and rock it til the end of the season, dont miss any riding days, it will be fine. Expecially in MI where you have a shorter riding season. Just wait!

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
drill some holes in the bottom and let the water seep out...then glass over the hulls and the crack and ride it until winter.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
drill some holes in the bottom and let the water seep out...then glass over the hulls and the crack and ride it until winter.
agree. But if you're gonna drill holes, you might as well put in drains. Store it at a significant incline. The water won't come pouring out....it will drip for days. If you do this b4 glassing it "may" help it to dry out faster, (not so sure about that). Refoaming is a pretty big job, something I'd wait til winter to do.

stanton

High on jetskis.
guys once your foam is wet there is no drying it out. the only way i could see a possibility, although completely unreasonable, is spinning the hull in a centrifuge for hours.
imagine a sponge in a plastic bag, poke a small hole in the bag and it may drip a little bit but you wont get much out of the sponge. i will stay wet for a long time.
only option is foam replacement.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
guys once your foam is wet there is no drying it out. the only way i could see a possibility, although completely unreasonable, is spinning the hull in a centrifuge for hours.
imagine a sponge in a plastic bag, poke a small hole in the bag and it may drip a little bit but you wont get much out of the sponge. i will stay wet for a long time.
only option is foam replacement.
right. But it will drip out and evap if exposed to air. However, it took mine about 2 weeks with holes drilled and glass cut out for footholds to drop 20 lbs.

stanton

High on jetskis.
true some will evaporate if its exposed, but thats cutting out the tray and waiting.
you could do the job properly in less time with better results and not have to do the same thing next time you ride because you didnt seal all the holes.

Top Bottom