Do Scuppers Sink Skis?

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
If the ski turns turtle, the scupper outlet is up in the air.
If it lets air out, the engine compartment will flood far more rapidly than a sealed hull (which can float turtle for a while).
Do you all find this to be true?
Can a scupper actually lead to a faster swamping boat?
:bigeyes:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
IMHO, a good hoodseal, good intake system, and two good bilge pumps make a scupper un-necessary.

That said, my Roundnose doesn't have a good hoodseal, and my riding style tends to cause lots of water intake.
I have seen my scupper drain the bilge from the very top to empty in about 15 seconds.
I can live with that. :)

That said, I am building a Square right now that will not have a Scupper.

adet16v

No like winter
I run dual 500gph pumps in my Fx-1. I have never had any problems with not being able to get water out in a timely manner.

I know squarenoses are infamous for terrible intakes on the hood that lead to excessive flooding....

On the other hand, my Fx-1 has excellent baffles and does not let nearly as much water in. The RN sj hoods are also significantly better than the squares.

IMO its personal rider preference. As long as you are moving forward on plane the water will be forced to the back of the hull which is ideal for either a scupper or bilges (assuming you locate them in the rear)

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
I have an aftermarket hood, brand new hoodseal, two 500rules and still couldnt keep the water out fast enough. I hate filling up my hull and then having to wait before a new trick. Not to mention wasting time in the middle

For instance I can do a long fountina nd just fill my ski up and then starta setupwake, by the time i make that its empty

Boris

The Good Old Days
I was worried about that when I first put in my scupper and since I never had one on any ski the first ride out I had to give it a try.

With a stock hood on my square I tipped the boat over and waited for a scene from Titanic.
It didn't happen.

There was a nice rush of air out through the scupper but soon after it all settled down. I let the thing sit there for some time and even took the opportunity to clean up the bottom of the ski. The nose did go down a few inches more than before the scupper but the ski didn't sink.

I guess the hood baffle and long tubes did their job. I'm sure given enough time the ski would have gone under but don't they all.

When I flipped the ski back over and opened the hood there was about 3" of water in the bilge. If the motor was running as in a surf bail situation the suction would have pulled more water into the hull resulting in slight water ingestion but as it was I had the ski upside down for about 10 minutes.
You can swim a long way in 10 minutes.

Watty

Random Performance
No, you are getting confused with people sporting moustache's. They are responsible for everything....don't blame the scupper.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I have seen one sink to the bottom or a river, because of the scupper. Unless you get one of these!!!!!! :woot:

Water sensing bilges rule! You will never sink. :arms:

Attachments

• rulemate.jpg
    rulemate.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 12

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I have seen one sink to the bottom or a river, because of the scupper. Unless you get one of these!!!!!! :woot:

A broken scupper will out-flow that pump. :biggthumpup:

Boris

The Good Old Days
I don't see that pump or my 2 500GPH Attwoods being of any sue if the ski is upside down.

At that point it's swim as fast as you can and flip it over.

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum

Hood becomes unlatched...its going down
Upside down ski.....a bilge pump isnt even touching the water

And whats with the water sensing thing.....why not just put two 500gphs in and run them anytime your touching the water.....

Takeastand SJ

R.I.P. 8/9/2008
A ski can sit upside down for a minute or two without a scupper and not sink. A ski with a scupper will sink in around 10-20 seconds. If your ski stays upright scuppers are nice, just don't lose your ski in the surf.

mekanic305

Thanks for the rain in GA
Try keeping the jokes to a minimum, I'm still learning.

I'm assuming turtle means ski bottom side up in the water? I could never get mine to stay upside down even when I tried...does it stay upside down when it's got water in it? Does it make any difference if the engine is running or not?

ANT

Just ride
maybe a couple bilge pumps upside down in the top deck to give you extra time to get to your ski? Just something off the top of my head haha.

aof13

Sfl free since 3/28
Wamilton makes the best scupper. It stayes shut unless it dumping h20. They don't break either. I don't run a bildge pump because they are a nightmare.

I had a wammer scupper, it was awful. it always leaked, and it was brand new. The 24/7 i had was perfect, never let a drop in, even after 2 years.

Top Bottom