Super Jet Does a Good SN Hood Seal Exist??

Well like it says, ive been searching for a better alternative to my square nose hood seal as my stocker was worn out from the previous owner leaving the hood latched down for years. My first option was to go with the "Surf Seal" as it had awesome reviews and was not too harsh on the wallet. Although this seal doesnt seem to fair well on the SN SJ's, mine would bind up on the front lip of the body and eventually began to tear/seperate from all the folding and pushing of the hood down. (I am in no way bashing this product, this hood seal would be an EXCELLENT seal for a RN and would work very well) much the same as it did on my SN until pulling the hood on and off began to tear it. So i now need to look for an alternative, and with the OE seals in the 130.00-200.00 range id like to find an alternative.

It seems the Watcon seal has good reviews, and im sure this has been covered but after googling i couldnt really find many options besides OE, Watcon, or HydroTurf, and it seems the HT seal is horrible. Im beginning to lean in the Watcon seal direction, anyone have first hand experience with the Watcon or any others, how did it hold up, and did it seal well? Any other options im missing?

SuperDrifter

Prototyper
Site Supporter
In this 'one-up', I'm using the Watcon, and like it. Also trying the liquidgraphix hood version. Right now it's one or the other, it would be nice to have a top/bottom 'mating' seal.
I read OEM's, for typical apps is be$t.

Ill look into the thrust, and yah I'm running the liquid graphics one right now, seals great! But just doesn't fair well on the SN SJ's. and I've also read OEM is best but just way too expensive.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I've used watcon and have no complaints. The cold fusion seal is very nice too.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Just finished actually looking at CF website. I didn't know they were slinging the Watcon seal now.

Liquid graffix!
Easy install, inexpensive, solid design!
Ope jus noticed you have LG seal already..
mine worked great

Last edited:

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Have you tried the home depot weather seal? 1-1/4" x 7/16" x 10' (one side sticky) weather stripping. All the reviews I have found on it are good.

please check and make sure the hood actually belongs to the ski....rebuilt numerous squares and often a different hood is different in size...u might laugh but its true...therefore all hood seals will fail, especially when the hood appears to short .
Check your hood looks, if they are centered and in right position...most of them are bent or do not actually tighten down hood .

Take your ski knee deep water , push/sit on nose and listen if water is coming in from the front around seal area.

Once the hood is right and hood locks adjusted I have used watcon hood seal and jet maniac straps instead of oem lock....stays completely dry

Orange, I've looked into that the only thing my hood could use is to more forward slightly. But that would not be possible unless the catches moved forward or hooks shortened which doesn't seem possible. They are perfectly straight and because I found my ski almost perfectly preserved in an old mans basement it doesn't look to be modified.

please check and make sure the hood actually belongs to the ski....rebuilt numerous squares and often a different hood is different in size...u might laugh but its true...therefore all hood seals will fail, especially when the hood appears to short .

Not laughing here. My hood was too short for the hull (hood graphics were right for the year of the hull though). I tried using the watcon, but it has a concave top and the the forward edge of the hood would slip off and not center and compress the gasket no matter how I tried to line things up forward and aft. A Surf Seal type gasket worked best for me.

^^true,

my friend tried to get one as a quick fix, didn't even care about how long it lasted as he needed a quick fix, and he wouldn't sell it.

Top Bottom