Does anyone ever sub under a wave?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I think it was the National tour stop in FT Walton either 2000 or 2001. Band snapped, took off, just as I got in the tray I hit a huge wave just as broke, dont remember much but doing a back flip, think I held on to the bars but not sure where my feet went!!!!!!!!!

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
now that i think about it i remember seeing a video from france i think, it might be Gil, doin subs under waves........tryin to find it....

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
I don't have a whole lot of surf experience, but I do know that good things happen when I am on top of the wave, and bad things happen when the wave is on top of me. All things being equal, I would aim to keep myself above the wave.

When you think of it.... that wave is coming at you and your going at "it".... that make for a rather large smack in the face if you hit it wrong!

I think ideally you would be underwater by the time the wave hits you, but no matter what I think the clockwise rotation of the wave swirling would try and make you do an "underwater backflip" Guess I just got to see for myself lol

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
I've done it before I had a clue what I was doing. Figured like you asked it would work... no dice. lol makes you into a crank bait. unless you get the angle EXACTLY perfect you either dig to deep and the wave smashed you into the bottom and you go for a ride as it rips you off the ski or you dont make it all the way under the wave and it rips you off and you go for a ride. one of the first lessons I learned when I rode big surf...

Top Bottom