Does it always hurt?

Does it always hurt after a weekend of riding, I feel like I have been through a meat grinder after every weekend, I know if you don't hurt you not trying hard enough but does it ever subside? (standups of course)

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
it gets better as the season progresses
first few weekends are killer!
i dont use those superjet muscles all winter :puppy_dog_eyes:

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
Depends on how old you are and how fit you are in general. Also what kind of riding you're doing. Before I could do stabs, a ride didn't hurt much after I "got fit" for the season. Now that I can do stabs, I do tend to hurt a little more. I think it's cuz it's sooo much more fun and I work at it that much harder. Not to mention, I'm old.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Being a weekend warrior doesn't help, it's better if you can ride every 3-4 days. The older you get the more important that is.

ToddW

Web GuY
Sore the first few trips.. and out of shape if you don't work out... gets better quick if you go a lot and depending on how much swimming you have to do to go after the ski. I hold on for dear life now so I have to swim less :)

Oh, and if you are just getting started riding stand-up prepare to swim a good deal @ the beginning that made me even more tired than riding itself.

The first 2 weeks are like hell I feel I aged 20 years the next morning waking up and even in the evening after riding, the more you ride the better and after a week or 2 it all goes away and you start getting more crazy again....

I think partially the pain is also a part of our water temperatures ( still in the low 50's ).

I am 24 and can jog 3-4 miles and not even working up a sweet, 150 lbs, I cant say i am in great shape but i didnt think I was that bad off. This is only the second trip of the season to.. Anyone else set a trout line using there superjet as well(the only way I could get my dad on mine was to tell him I needed help setting a trout line ;) ) fun part was bringing the fish back to camp :)

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Jogging has nothing do with standup-riding, or with why you're sore.
I work out year round, both cardio and weight training.
I still get sore after the first couple of rides of the season.

The remedy...ride more!

swanny

not safe for clowns
actually running will help increase the mass of the muscle mitochondria, letting you burn more lactic acid and allowing the muscles to work longer and harder.

The more intense training, the more additional proteins that help absorb and convert lactic acid to energy.

It is all about V02max- or a person maximum oxygen consumption.

so after driving home (which is your rest) you need to go for a brisk walk (active and passive recovery need to be utilized together to decrease lactic acid levels while promoting maximum glycogen resynthesis) then eat a high carbo meal to replace the glycogen stores which were depleted from activity.

vjhardcore

Ride It Like Ya Stole IT!
When I first started to learn stand up I was in great shape - I bought a mod'd 650SX - no wet suit/no shoes - the turf was the ribbed unforgiving hydro turf of old. Having no back ground in any 'balance' sports other then bikes. It took me 3 - 4 days (5-7hrs) of solid riding (falling/dragging/kneeling) to get up and be able to turn and ride without falling.

Over those 3-4 days I used 8-10 Tylenol 3's just to help me rest/sleep cause of the pain I had. Plus my shins and hands(no gloves) were bleeding and raw.

Presently I'm not in as good of shape - but like everyone else who knows how to ride - after a few times out it eventually hurt less and takes less time to recover.

Ride it - It will come!

Does it always hurt after a weekend of riding, I feel like I have been through a meat grinder after every weekend, I know if you don't hurt you not trying hard enough but does it ever subside? (standups of course)
Ride 5 tankfulls a week, preferably in 2 installments and if you're 20 there won't be any more hurting after 3 weeks if 30 then it'll take a month. That's for waveriding. If you're a loop trooper, you'll always be a bit sore.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
I hear ya. I hate gettin out of bed after a day of big surf riding. The jumping really does a number on me. It might get a little better but no matter how much I ride as long as i am pushing i feel like crap for at least a day.

ToddW

Web GuY
For me, now, it's more of the muscles that are not used regularly doing any other activity... my upper chest, stomach, sides, are all sore and it's not normal muscle sore feeling it's almost sick feeling due to those muscles pushing on other parts of my insides. Feels like crap! Luckily does not last long. I`m relatively in shape, 25y/o ~150lbs <5% body fat.

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
I have never had a stand up give me 'arm puimp', now that I have a Lamey/stroker, OMG, I feel like hell today and hands are still crampin.
I LOVE IT !!! LOL

Top Bottom