Draining the bilge, just thinking out loud.

I bought the home depot scupper because I thought it would not leak and it does. I also have 2 bilges on a float switch. I love it it comes on about every 5 min while sitting and is perfectly set up so that the pumps run dry for a few seconds then the switch turns off. The total setup was about $40 from wal-mart minus the bling parts, they cost more then the pumps. If I was doing it again I would go with a scupper that way you can see if its stuck open. Crap gets caught in the one way like sand and nuts I have dropped. The bilges can keep up with it but its scary being out in the water and your bilges aren't turning off.

but not as scary as being out in the water and not having your bilges turn ON :bad3: :biggrin:

Y

yamaslut

external scupper are junk IMO

Lowes 2" sump dump drain valve (not the springy one) but w/ flap check valve... These do not leak at all or enough that you would ever have to worry in the surf.. I run mine w/ no bilge and have never sunk it from the scupper...

romack991

homebrewed
Lowes 2" sump dump drain valve (not the springy one) but w/ flap check valve... These do not leak at all or enough that you would ever have to worry in the surf.. I run mine w/ no bilge and have never sunk it from the scupper...

:werd:
cheap one way from hardware store is where its at. who uses bilge pumps anymore?:fingersx:

TheSimpleManLance

cant take me anywhere
what about maybe running a dual scupper. either 2 homedepot scuppers or a homedepot and aftermarket one. the second one should eliminate any water the first one lets slide by.

TheSimpleManLance

cant take me anywhere
:werd:
cheap one way from hardware store is where its at. who uses bilge pumps anymore?:fingersx:

i have the homedepot one way too. i dont even notice if mine leaks or not. i have never had a problem with my ski filling up with water when i am sitting so i guess it is doing good. i might have to pull the hood one day and see if any comes in.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
A 2 - 2-1/2 inch one way gets rid of water REALLY fast.
No need for 2, IMHO.
If you need two, you need a better hood gasket.

I recently sunk Phill's square. The bilge was filled to the carb with water.
We pulled the ski up on shore.
The entire bilge drained in approximately 15 seconds.
Good enough for me.
That was a 2-1/2 inch one way and pipe. T'was pretty cool to see it drain through the back.

TheSimpleManLance

cant take me anywhere
i was just sugesting it for those that are worried about them leaking and your ski sinking. they were only like $10 so it wouldn't cost that much to put another one on too while your there.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Two one-way valves = twice as much leakage.
If you're worried about leaking and sinking, doubling the one-ways really doesn't help.
:Banane01:

EDIT: I see...you mean two in series? I don't think it would help much.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
What I did to Ketsair square nose is install a check valve but I also left enough room for a scupper valve on the outside of the ski incase the check would ever fail you can mount a scupper over the hole.

Mark44

demolition_x

Not After Fame & Fortune
external scupper are junk IMO

any pictures of what this looks like? or a part number?

i think i would rather have a scupper but i hate the way they look on the outside...

boris what scupper you end up going with?

Boris

The Good Old Days
Since the scupper is on order I will put it on, I'll go to Lowes after work and look at the valve Slutty suggested and might add that as well.

So no takers on the trap idea ?

TheSimpleManLance

cant take me anywhere
here is the home depot scupper(check valve) i am running

022315140479_4.jpg

Internet/Catalog #100160328
Store In-Stock SKU # 776709

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...earchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3116&pos=n06

Y

yamaslut

Since the scupper is on order I will put it on, I'll go to Lowes after work and look at the valve Slutty suggested and might add that as well.

So no takers on the trap idea ?

the lowes will work much better than that 24/7 scupper....
just re-sell the 24/7

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I've got the Penguin Plumbing version. A massive 2-1/2 inches.

Top Bottom