Surfriding Dredging at Corsons Inlet NJ - Pics

Its all about the surf!
Here in the Oceanside, over the course of the year, sand builds up against the outer jetty in the Harbor mouth entrance, creating some nice little waves, which are especially good on the summer south swells. The sand buildup doesn't block the harbor entrance but the powers that be still view it as a maritime obstacle and a nuisance, so unfortunately, every spring a dredge shows up and removes all the sand, killing the waves. One year, due to budget cuts, city overspending or whatever, they decided to take the cheap route and instead of having the full size dredge show up they brought in a barge with an excavator on it which just removed the sand from the boat channel. That entire next year the sand remained on the outer jetty so we had almost a two year run with great harbor mouth waves. The spot has never been our main riding area but it was a good backup option. The following year the full size dredge showed up again and ruined the whole set up. Hopefully they just stick to the boat channel and won't trash your riding spot with all the dredging. It usually takes several years to recover the sand bars that are lost due to dredging. The core of Engineers needs an engineer who is also a surfer on their planning committee so they don't overdo it.

Last edited:
I went out on my waveraider last weekend since it was warm, till I hit the ocean water lol. I seen they have that dredger posted up in the Barnaget Inlet right now.

djraider700

lol wut?
Couple friends went out yesterday and said it was nothing but sandbars everywhere. Sounds like this is going to cause havoc with boats going in and out of the inlet. Heck, saw plenty of boats getting stuck last year. Kind of a busy spot during the summer too. So what exactly was the point of dredging?

From what my neighbor told me, its to add sand to the beaches due to natural errosion. From what I think if they dig out close to the beach it would make the waves break closer to the shore. which sucks IMO. Yeah the sand bars are bad once you enter the bay from the inlet. if boats try to cut across and not follow the bouys they are screwed, cause my waveraider touched ground when I was going over them.

djraider700

lol wut?
I know they replenish the beaches with the sand, but why not dredge out the inlet and move the sand to the beach? Seems like they just got the sand from somewhere and made a mess of the place.

yea they didnt really do a good job at corsons, i was out there 2 weeks ago. theres a freaking island by the inlet now. people were just pulling up on their boats and chilling there, till the staties chased them away. at low tide i could of walked from the ramp to the surf. they really screwed it up.

Top Bottom