Drive shaft end gap ???

TOBTEK

So-Cal Mortgage & R/E
Skat is doing me up a 144mm pump for the new DASA PV motor being done. When talking with Glen up at Skat-Track we was telling me to MAKE SURE the spacing/gap between the drive shaft and prop isnt more then .25 of a inch.

Question is.... whats the best way to measure this up. AND THEN are there spacers avail to reduce this gap?

Thanks in advance.....Tobtek from Ap Designs.

I am assuming this is in reference to a Kawi pump since the Yamaha prop is treaded onto the shaft correct?
If it is a Kawi the clearance I beleieve Glennis refering to is how much the drive shaft can slide forward and back between the couplers and the prop. With the pump installed slide the driveshaft as far back into the prop as it will go and then forward into the coupler as far as it can. This is the clearance. You can adjust this by sliding the motor back in the mounts as far as possible and also by installing a small rubber bumper made from rubber hose into the nose of the prop (some props come with an O-ring also).
I forgot about this ONCE. Our motor was slid forward and the couplers walked backwards into the pump. It was enough for the couplers to become disconnected. It destroyed a set of billet couplers. Sometimes rushing to get to the water is not a good thing. Ever since I always slide the motor back as far as possible and then check the driveshaft clearance also.

try to keep the play to a minimum or no play at all..less than 1mm if possible otherwise you will chew up the rubber damper.

Top Bottom