Super Jet Drive Shaft Zirk Grease Fitting

Hi, I just picked up a 2006 SJ and noticed it has a zirk grease fitting for the drive shaft bearing. Mine has has never been used. Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure what grease to use or how much and how often. The CD manual wasn't really any help. What are you guys doing?

Thanks.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
You only get to see how worthless that fitting is when your mid-shaft seal/ bearings quit.
Pump all the grease in there that you want. The outer race "might" get some. It's a silly little "feel good" fitting.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
The grease fitting on the midshaft housing fills the area between the 2 rear grease seals which are located behind the 'sealed' midshaft bearing. The bearing can't be greased here. The splines on the midshaft/driveshaft can't be greased here.

The rearmost double lipped grease seal is directly under water while riding. It has the semi-impossible job of keeping water out while the midshaft spins like mad while also spinning offaxis with every movement of the rubber mounted midshaft housing and engine motor mounts and hull flex between motor, midshaft housing, and pump.

While you freestyle slam your ski around, water is leaked in and grease is washed out. Suction is also created which pulls grease out. The grease fitting is to designed to refill the grease barrier after it washes out.

It is CRITICAL that you not overfill this area or the result is usually a destroyed midshaft housing. The grease separates the rubber and blows out the back.

Last edited:
What do you think is the right amount to use, so you don't destroyed your midshaft housing. A pump once a year or every 20 hours or .......?

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
Jetmaniac, how could overfilling result in damage to the housing? the housing is one solid piece. Then there are 2 oil seals behind that (the housing). Overfilling causes excess grease to come out through these 2 seals exiting out the mid shaft exit. I do not see how using a HAND PUMP grease gun could cause any damage... excess oil will simply ooz out. If it could be damaged this easy Yamaha would have never put it on there. But they knew and made it so excess grease will simply exit.

http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/YamahaPWC.asp?Type=13&A=32&B=7

Jetmaniac, how could overfilling result in damage to the housing? the housing is one solid piece. Then there are 2 oil seals behind that (the housing). Overfilling causes excess grease to come out through these 2 seals exiting out the mid shaft exit. I do not see how using a HAND PUMP grease gun could cause any damage... excess oil will simply ooz out. If it could be damaged this easy Yamaha would have never put it on there. But they knew and made it so excess grease will simply exit.

http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/YamahaPWC.asp?Type=13&A=32&B=7
His post was dead on. If you pump in too much grease or pump it in too fast, you can unseat the seal which will allow grease to leak out. As he mentioned, it's a sealed bearing that doesn't need lubrication, but without grease to keep water away from it, corrossion will start.

A couple tricks I leaned are to grease it after a ride so the grease in the hose & housing will be warm, & do it with the engine running so the spinning shaft helps distribute it evenly inside the housing.

These pics are from a SHO inter shaft/housing, but it's the same desgin as a SJ. I had water pouring out of the housing at WOT, & when I pulled the motor forward to remove it, the coupler fell flat on the hull liner. The bearing was almost completely disintegrated. There was a big glob of grease in the hull under the housing, so I had obviously blown out the seal by overfilling or pumping too fast. Both the shaft & housing were marred up & had to be replaced, so it was a lot more expensive than just presssing in a new bearing & replacing seals.

Attachments

• IMG_9269.jpg
    IMG_9269.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9270.jpg
    IMG_9270.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 107

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
I only have grease come out the rear... nothing in the hull. I also used the gun that uses the small grease tube so each pump is like 2 teaspoons so it not being pumped in fast.. any way to tell if damage was done?

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
When you take the housing apart you will see how silly the grease fitting is.

I believe that greasing actually wastes the housing/seal bond quicker, and does not help the bearing.
Just my .02

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
i guess for me only time will tell....

That dumb grease fitting is like putting a RED button on your car dashboard with no warning label!
If pressed blows up the car engine.

Last edited:

mdl76

2- SJ's, 2- WB1's
after doing more and more research on this it appears you need x-ray vision to fill it to the EXACT amount.
To little and water will get in... to much and the seal blows causing $400 in damage if left alone as most will do....
YAMAHA! HOW THE HELL DOES ANYONE KNOW THE EXACT AMOUNT TO PUT IN THIS STUPID THING???

Sorry, I just get very angry when a manufacture does something this stupid and we are left to wonder how to do it right.

Top Bottom