Driveshaft vs. Bench Vise

prop tool

Weld your tool into a 2 inch square tubing at least 3/16 thickness , then you can save your china vice for watch battery removal in the future . This one wont break , and supports the shaft so it wont bend ,

Attachments

• impeller tool 004.jpg
    impeller tool 004.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 99
  • impeller tool 001.jpg
    impeller tool 001.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 89
I'm all about buying USA made items, but i couldn't find a vice that articulated the way i wanted it to for 90% of the stuff I use it for (which is woodworking/hobby, not impeller removal) but this one that I bought form Woodcraft (a US company) did the trick for $60. The antique patternmakers vises made by Stanley ToolCo when they were a real tool company- go for huge money on ebay. If i'm going to drop $350-600 bucks on stuff I 'd rather it be parts for my ski that are made in the USA. Also lets not forget that HF employs a bunch of Americans also, the one i shop at has more employees than the Home Depot. I'll pay more for US products all day long, but not 2x more

Last edited:

GSXR RACER MIKE

20 years of stand up
I was thinking the same thing as yamanube with chucking it up in a lathe if that were an option for you. That sucks about the vice breaking, I hope the weld holds (since the vice is most likely made out of cast iron). As far as the US vs. Chinese made debate - I have a very strong feeling Harbor Freight's days are numbered. In fact if anyone here has investments in Chinese manufacturing I would highly advise getting your money out sooner than later! Why? For anyone interested read further:

(long, but informative)

When the so-called 'Free Trade' flood gates were opened back in the 90's they effectively moved the majority of US Manufacturing to Mexico and especially China. That resulted in a MASSIVE 'thinning of the herd' of US Manufacturers, the ones who survived were forced to adapt and improve processes to become more efficient and provide products at even lower costs. Since then a lot of high tech has been incorporated here in the US, even at the small shop level (common result of a 'thinning of the herd' is generally a stronger and healthier remaining herd).

BUT...even back then the people that were 'in the know' were saying the foreign manufacturing exodus would only last for so long - then those foreign made products would rise in cost due to exponential foreign wage increases, rising foreign manufacturing costs, and higher shipping / distribution costs. That leads us to today, many of those US Manufacturers who adapted and introduced newer more effective processes and technologies are seeing a massive boom in orders for US made products (many US companies, including where I work, are now turning away multiple Millions of dollars of work simple because their so busy and can't find enough skilled workers). I've read in manufacturing magazines that costs to have things made in China are growing at such a fast rate that many products made there now cost 80% to 90% of what it does to have those same products made here in the USA at a higher quality. A couple days ago I read an article posted on the front page of MSN that China's Government just released a report stating it's economy was in a state of 'sharp decline' over the last 2 quarters and possibly heading toward a free-fall due to the very things I just mentioned - a rapidly accelerating drop in orders for products made in China combined with rising wages and costs. To quote Morpheous from the movie the Matrix: "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

That's what's causing the current US Manufacturing boom, in fact it's been estimated by Manufacturing analysts that in the next 2 to 3 years the USA will re-take the position of being the lead manufacturer in the World once again. On a side note: I would highly encourage anyone reading this who's looking for a stable and very good paying job to look into Manufacturing (for example CNC programmer/set-up/ & operation, Mold Maker, Tool & Die Maker, Class A Machinist, etc). Many of these 'skilled' jobs will easily pay mid to high 5 figures with some of the higher 'skilled tradesman' positions bringing a solid 6 figures. Adding to that is the supply and demand factor, for example apx 1/3 of Tool & Die Makers in US Manufacturing are from the Baby Boom generation, they are now starting to retire and will be retiring over the next 5-10 years. Here's a random recent article I pulled off the web concerning what I do, Tool & Die Making, and the desperation to get more people into the trade ASAP ( http://www.usatoday.com/money/econo...mic-recovery-manufacturing-revival/54365676/1 ).

The better US Manufacturing does, the more money will be earned by those companies and employees and then be spent here in the USA on products and services (cars, toys, homes, going out to eat, vacations, etc) - truly a 'One hand feeds the other' situation.

extreemthrottle

freeride junkie
i saw something one day at jetmaniac's garage that stuck with me and soon followed the same. got a 6in vise and mounted it to the floor with some large lag bolts, it works great when you need to take off a prop, just use a torch and step on the wrench! works like a charm.

all i can say is if there was a store next to harbor freight that was called "American made tools but 40% more expensive''...ide still shop there with pride. hate breaking tools when you need them most. even sears is starting to sell chinese crap to keep in business its so pathetic...this poor country=(

PWCSAR

River Rat
I busted a 5" wilton a couple months ago, used heat etc. but a really beat up stock prop from previous owner with 200 hrs. on it didn't wanna come off.. Made a really loud pop.. I'll take pics sometime this summer.. I think I'll weld up the drop hitch setup , I like that idea.

Top Bottom