Freestyle Dry suits

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
Wondering how to tell these dry suits apart. Not looking to spend like 600 bucks. I think a good wetsuit will do but rather a dry suit since i have used a short sleeve wetsuit in the past and just not a fan. Wanting a full length suit long sleeve, long legs. I will be running wrestling shoes but might get some hydroturf boots for in between feet and shoes since im a bitch with my feet and cold water.

i see numbers such as 3/2mm and 5/4mm. I even saw some percentages saying something like 30% dry 70% certain kind of fluid they mentioned. Our water in california gets to the 50s and maybe even the 40s. Nothing like you snow living people but for me its too much. Just went out before the weather changed but wanting to continue riding. Any help and recommendations.

thinking of this suit http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2015...ck-zip-wetsuit-greyorange-150040-p-12574.html

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Water is about 55 degrees right now and I'm warm with a 3/2 wetsuit, lavacore hood, wrestling shoes and normal socks, mechanics gloves and handwarmers mod on a 40 degree air temp day. With a 5/4 I think you'd be fine at the coldest temps in cali for sure.
In cali, a wetsuit should probably be fine, but a dry suit can be more convenient..

But, I have a O'neil boost drysuit on the way(for when the water/air temps get very cold and lakes are about to freeze..) and it's around 400$ new and has very very good reviews, so I'll let you know how that goes. Only reason I chose a dry suit is because it's a guarantee I'll be warm, and o'neil replaces their own seals for very cheap when they wear out.

mike b

oh nice. Yeah the boots will be helpful for me. Are their any gloves that are like drysuit material or anything? the hands will suck and wasn't wanting to do the hand warmers to be honest. but if needed it will be done

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I had 5mm neoprene boots and they absolutely sucked for kicking into footholds, just a thought. Cozy warm though, but I'm returning them. Wrestling shoes with 3-5mm socks are ideal.

Not positive on that, there are neoprene gloves but some people complain about not being able to hold on good. If you're doing flips and stuff, make sure you get stuff you can hold on well with..Only complaint I heard with handwarmers was people saying they still felt cold due to the wind on their bare hands. I wear mechanics gloves(mx work too, these were just cheap at the local hardware store) and they block off the wind, but are a very pourous fabric and get heated up by my handwarmers. Freeken best mod ever. As the temps decrease I'm gonna have to keep restricting my pissers to keep my hands warm though..

mike b

Yeah gloves will be very helpful. I know the wind will destroy my hands and the handwarmers i would guess only warm your hands for brief moments

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Yeah gloves will be very helpful. I know the wind will destroy my hands and the handwarmers i would guess only warm your hands for brief moments
Hands are warm at all times other then when in the water, but they warm up quick once riding again. Just make sure you have them angled right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cookn

Kamikaze
I actually didn't really like my oneil drysuit because the neck seal is neoprene instead of silicone or latex. No matter what I tried, if you ride hard you will eventually get water down the neck of the suit. I was going to look into swapping the seal out but have never got around to it. The combo numbers on wetsuits just means its two different thickness and allows better movement because they put the thinner material in the less critical areas. You can also get what they call semi dry wetsuits that have cuffs inside the wrists and ankles that help reduce the water transfer through the suit in turn keeping the water your body already warmed up in there longer. I used to ride some pretty cold temps in Canadian waters and the best setup I found was my 2/3 full suit with another 2 mil pull over with a hood on it to keep your head and core warm but not sacrifice a bunch of movement in your arms and legs

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
I actually didn't really like my oneil drysuit because the neck seal is neoprene instead of silicone or latex. No matter what I tried, if you ride hard you will eventually get water down the neck of the suit. I was going to look into swapping the seal out but have never got around to it. The combo numbers on wetsuits just means its two different thickness and allows better movement because they put the thinner material in the less critical areas. You can also get what they call semi dry wetsuits that have cuffs inside the wrists and ankles that help reduce the water transfer through the suit in turn keeping the water your body already warmed up in there longer. I used to ride some pretty cold temps in Canadian waters and the best setup I found was my 2/3 full suit with another 2 mil pull over with a hood on it to keep your head and core warm but not sacrifice a bunch of movement in your arms and legs

Yeah I saw that in the reviews but it was a minimal amount of water supposedly, and the neoprene is supposed to be way comfy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mike b

LOL. Yep im in California. Central valley and i will attempt in the wetsuit that I have now but getting small on me. I was wanting to try out the surf at some point which is why I was wanting to have a suit that I know works well that way I don't freeze my arse off.

A good quality 3/2 suit is plenty. I reccomend xcel. You can find them cheaper if they are last years model. do not buy any jetski brand when it comes to a good suit that will keep you warm, have good movement and quality to last. My previous Xcel 3/2 lasted 4 years with weekly use

mike b

lol. I want a dry suit but I like the wetsuit look. All the drysuit i am seeing are all that plastic looking material

Top Bottom