durability of side rail turfing !

sandman

runs on cottonseed oil
Was thinking of doing the side rails when I redo my SXR... Am now starting to question the durability of side rail turfing.. I mean you spend a lot time and a little $$$ to do it right... then the nature of the turf - it's not like plastic and everytime you scrap something - well u may just cut a chunk out of the turfing job you just did..

Don't get me wrong - I really like the custom look!! But the overall functioning of the side railing when done in turf...

if doing: I was to use 1" and 2" C clamps with some thin pine wood strips that have been molded for the side curving contour of the ski... then clamp down all the way on one side at a time... using 15 - 20 clamps clamping the top side down - and 15 - 20 clamps clamping the side rail down... the end result would be one side at a time knowing the turf was put down right / etc....

P

PancakePete

I just sand down the rails, then sand the back of the turf... blow it all off clean... wipe rails down with paint thinner to get paint tacky.

Then when you glue them on start at the top of the rail...
lay the whole thing on then work it down side of rail..
hold it or hammer it with a rubber mallet... your golden.
:fing02:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I just sand down the rails, then sand the back of the turf... blow it all off clean... wipe rails down with paint thinner to get paint tacky.

Bingo, it lasts quite a long time. My old hull has had it on for a few years at least and it's fine.

I have a couple spots peeling up right now. Some superglue should take care of it. I have had some rail jobs hold up better than others.
Using a rubber mallet and cutting the bottom edge at a 45 degree angle help a ton.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
I did mine last year and would highly recomend it. do it right and it will last a lot longer than the stock rails on the SJ or SCR. I'm doing my SJ soon.

stanton

High on jetskis.
if doing: I was to use 1" and 2" C clamps with some thin pine wood strips that have been molded for the side curving contour of the ski... then clamp down all the way on one side at a time... using 15 - 20 clamps clamping the top side down - and 15 - 20 clamps clamping the side rail down... the end result would be one side at a time knowing the turf was put down right / etc....
contact cement needs no clamping. and if it rips, glue it back down. turfs cheaper than new trim:cool2:

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter

Exactally , but I usually glue both surfaces twice , let it dry completely before second coat, or install.......

WATERDOGLOUIE

Play till it hurts
If you follow the instructions on the contact cement and seal the edges with super glue then you should not have any problems. I always trim the lower edge up at about a 45 degree angle so that the water does not have much of an edge to catch on. I hope these pictures help...
4-5-08750sx10.jpg

4-5-08750sx2.jpg

4-5-08750sx8.jpg

Top Bottom