Surfriding EAST COAST SURF this weekend

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I would like to go but I only have my Superjet and Lisa's GP1200. I can't load/unload Lisa's 1200 by myself and we have no one else to go with us. I'm still riding this Sunday, but locally. (Shell island if anyone wants to join us).

yeah when there this close the waves suck. clean yeah right how are there calling for clean waves with 35 mph winds? swellinfo cracks me up.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Sunday! (can't go Monday).
The wind is supposed to calm late Sat into Sun....Sun N/W.
We were spoiled last year.
Can't let this one go past without showing up!

SATURDAY: Wind backing from north to side-offshore from the N/NW 13-24 mph (gusts to gale force still possible early in the morning) with waves leveling off at 7-9′ (occ + AM) in moderate period NE swell, with a developing long period ground swell component as the day progresses.
SUNDAY: Cooler/drier wind NNW/NW 10-20 mph and gusty with waves dropping down to 4-6′ (occ ++ AM) in long period NE ground swell.
MONDAY: Chilly wind easing down to NW 6-16 mph with waves starting out at 2-4′ (occ + AM) in lingering/slowly diminishing long period NE ground swell.

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Last edited:

naticen

Site Supporter
Just got in from riding our swell. It was decently clean and head high, with a few overhead. Can't wait for it to keep building. Get out there, but don't forget to be safe. I turned around from tuning my carb a little on the beach and both my buddies were 20-30 yards from there skis and one ski was just sitting upside down.

friday and this AM looked a mess.....there are big waves, but thats not surf....its the kind of crap we used to get excited about a few years ago just because of the rush...

the way the waves look today reminds me of a big wave lake michigan day

6 Hour Forecast:Wind strong out of the NNW with surf head high to double over head with a ton of drift out of the north. Wind should continue to clock off shore but not sure how clean and rideable it will get

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Just finished some wrenching on Jays' ski...
Will be at the spot shortly after daybreak and take what we get!

Just from looking at the ocean...I don't think it's gonna last long. Over-hyped as usual. There's definitely some size for now, but still a mess. It's all about the wind at this point.
Hope to see nice surf in the A.M.

i guess it just sounds cool to get online and yap about big hurricane surf but really what matters is form and organization. what good is it to have 10' waves if they are 7' apart.

i'll take a nice organized 2-3' ground swell with no wind over this crap. but that doesnt make me sound like a hard charger so internet awesomeness fail

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
i guess it just sounds cool to get online and yap about big hurricane surf but really what matters is form and organization. what good is it to have 10' waves if they are 7' apart.

i'll take a nice organized 2-3' ground swell with no wind over this crap. but that doesnt make me sound like a hard charger so internet awesomeness fail

Offshore storms can be great when it sends some clean head high and overhead waves with long intervals... This storm on the other hand is not ideal. I haven't even driven by the coast to see the conditions but I know there are high winds and tree limbs all over the roads which is just going to make the "surf" a choppy unorganized mess. Without checking the forecast, I'm sure there is going to be a sweet spot with some hope of big surf without all the wind chop and it may be worth riding. But to get excited about 30 foot hurricane waves is funny. I'm with Surfjunkie and prefer clean 3-4' waves over big messy 6-8 footers coming from every direction. It makes it more of a survival session instead of a good surfriding session.
With that being said, if there is a decent sweet spot in this storm and people will be riding the spot, I may go watch... Mostly for the reason that I'm waiting on parts to get my skis ready and I'm still new to this area and need to meet more people to ride with.

this pic is from surf station in st augustine so it looks like i might have been slightly wrong in my estimation of how quickly it would clean up. :bad: so kindly disregard my rant and resume internet yapping

Attachments

• 20121028110558-IMG_2375-001-599d6c357aef42a61ed1c77d76a47f2d3bc6ada1.jpg
    20121028110558-IMG_2375-001-599d6c357aef42a61ed1c77d76a47f2d3bc6ada1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 86

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
this pic is from surf station in st augustine so it looks like i might have been slightly wrong in my estimation of how quickly it would clean up. :bad: so kindly disregard my rant and resume internet yapping

Friend of mine rode the spot with dan today. He said it was still crappy looking in the morning, but wind shifted to offshore and they had some great surf in the afternoon.

Top Bottom