ebox without a fuse?

Ski was running fine last time I was out. I decided to rebuild the carbs now that lake season is done here and I just kept ripping stuff out. Opened my ebox to see if I could find any evidence of water, and as it turns out there is no fuse in it. I don't know how that is even possible. Is it a thing to jump these things out to not run a fuse? This seems insane to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I may have been a bit vague in my description, there is a fuse connection in the box. Do some come with the connection but wired to run without it?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The inline fuse has connectors on either end so it can be removed and the open ends connected together to complete the circuit. The fuse probably blew and the old owner just bypassed it.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Have a handy guide. Ur welcome.

r9Qps6Z.png

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Have a handy guide. Ur welcome.

r9Qps6Z.png

LOL and good to see matt_e still lurking around.

All yamahas came with a fuse on the red power wire in the ebox, as OCD said, many have been bypassed over the years. JSS removes them as part of their rebuilds, but not recommended in my opinion. It is there as safeguard.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Yamaha fuse is 10 amps I believe, so at freerides when you pop one and JetManiac isn't around, just go grab 2/3 a block of cheese and wire up

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I never understood removing the fuse either. JSS stripped them out of both the eboxes he did for me years ago and I added them back in.

I can't see too many instances where a fuse would be necessary except in the case of connecting the battery leads up in reverse. This will almost always result in a fried CDI.

I nearly got myself when I swapped in a spare battery that had the terminals reversed and I didn't catch it. The MSD survived and the only casualties was the voltage regulator and a blown fuse.

fuse is also necessary if a wire gets rubbed thru or melted on a hot pipe and grounded. fuse is cheap insurance. guys that fix smoked electrical for money dont want you blowing a 10 cent fuse, they want you creating carnage so they can have a job.......

Top Bottom