Elec probs am I missing something?

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I have been in the ocean twice this year with my sj and both times my ski has lasted about 1/4 tank and then something in the ebox takes a ****. First it was the coil now its the CDI (I think). When I open my ebox it is always clean and dry. All the voltages on the stator check out as per the jetski solutions post on pwctoday and the stator is dry inside. Is there something I am missing I am ready to throw this entire elec system in the trash. I am getting sick of pulling 50 screws and trying to get that rubber thing lined up. Is there something I am missing? How do you guys that only ride in saltwater stay running?

Thanx,
Ryan

norcal ex

X-H2
make sure you have ski greese on the plugs and all the electrical conections.i ussually loose spark ever time i go riding in salt, but i put in new plugs and shes good to go.

wildman326

Who else?
I had numerous problems with elec sys when I went to the ocean (6 times in 3 years) until I put a completely stock coil and stator back on the boat (thanks Butch). After that it ran like a champ.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I greased my plugs and I always try to only touch the grounded nut part on the plugs. First thing I do is disconnect the stop switch when I have elec probs. I m thinkin of getting a kawi switch.

douglee25

m3booooy
I'm not one who likes to throw parts at problems but if the stator checks out fine and the coil is new, the only thing left is your start/stop switch, and the cdi. If the start/stop switch was disconnected and you jumped the solenoid and still no spark, that makes me think CDI.

Have you verified all your grounds as well? How about a new set of spark plugs as well (the new 7's you bought)? The new 8's you have me were bad from the beginning. My ski was running on 1 cylinder with both of those plugs.

Doug

Y

yamaslut

I greased my plugs and I always try to only touch the grounded nut part on the plugs. First thing I do is disconnect the stop switch when I have elec probs. I m thinkin of getting a kawi switch.

the neds of your coil wires need to be trimmed back????? pull the boots and look at them...

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
He did that already. He also tried two other MSD coils I believe.

Doug

It was 3 other msd coils all checked out for resistance across the wires and connection. When the coil went it had weak spark. It would start fine and idle but when you hit the throttle it sounds like a jake brake. I noticed it on the trailer way before it ran on one cylinder in the ocean then died on the wrong side of barngate light. This time it was running fine then just quit. I am going to jump my solenoid and try to eleminate any issues in the starting system.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I disconnected everything that wasn't needed for spark and jumped the solenoid. Big hot spark from the wires to the head. I started connecting each wire one by one till everything was wired back up and I still had good spark :261: . Then I bumped the box and I had no spark. Disconnect the stop switch still no spark. Disconnect the white wire (stop wire) and now I have spark. There is a short somewhere in the start stop bundle that goes from the ebox to the switch wires what a pita. Thanx for all the sugestions now it needs to stop raining.

Waterdawg Kustomz

RIP NATION
The box is grounded by the black wire from the stator. If this wire gets a small break or some corrosion, you will lose everything. Try grounding the box by running a wire from the motor to the mounting post off the box. Make sure the contact areas are clean (no paint or corrosion). If this works then leave the wire in place, if not, I have some other ideas. Hope this helps.

Jeff Curry

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I have a gromet thats plugged up in my box (from an xl700) I think I might run another ground through there. I have had problems with bad grounds before. Would another ground from the battery to the block help out?

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
Now I have no spark again. I put everything back in the box and it had spark. Put the box back together and start it up. Hit the throttle big puff of smoke then nothing. Seriously wtf is this things prob. I swear it doesn't want to be ridden. I pull the box appart and I can't get any spark no matter what I try. Is there any thing I can do to tell if the cdi is giving a signal to the coil to fire? I have 4 good coils and I tried them all. The stator still checks out fine and all the grounds are good. The only thing I think it could be is the cdi on its way out and comes to life every now and then just to ******** with my head. This is such a pita I am ready to light this thing on ********ing fire but It probably wouldn't even burn its such stuborn pile of ********.

ANT

Just ride
crack the box back open and check all your connections. then fire it off with your box open, if it fires while the box is open and runs fine then you know something is getting pinched, pulled apart when you put the box together.
its one possibility.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I already pulled the box appart and went through the whole routine checking conections and running only the wires I needed. I have another cdi on the way if that doesn't work I don;t know what to do.

Top Bottom