Electric box full of water

butti

lone wolf
why does everyone get new screws? the gasket has a memory and needs replaced periodicly and ive seen cracked/stripped/damaged covers but the screws seem pretty sturdy to me.

btw i also use a drop of rubberized c/a where each wire goes through the grommets and on the spark plug boots,overkill im sure but the ocean will def. stress test your equip.

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
why does everyone get new screws? the gasket has a memory and needs replaced periodicly and ive seen cracked/stripped/damaged covers but the screws seem pretty sturdy to me.

I would suspect that new screws are the result of stripping out the heads using a standard #2 phillips screwdriver instead the proper #3 size tip.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
most total loss setups have all the stuff mounted outside of a box, it doesnt hurt anything.

what hurts it is to stay wet, like the box is full and wont drain.

I would respectfully disagree. Anytime saltwater can directly get to your connections, you are in for trouble. Why do you think so many peeps have issues with total loss in saltwater?

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
to answer your direct question,

people have issues with TL setups in salt water because most folks dont know how to make a decent water tight connection.

Now on to your dissaggreement, in my first post I qualified my statements as "FRESHWATER ONLY"

I would respectfully disagree. Anytime saltwater can directly get to your connections, you are in for trouble. Why do you think so many peeps have issues with total loss in saltwater?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter

btw i also use a drop of rubberized c/a where each wire goes through the grommets and on the spark plug boots,overkill im sure but the ocean will def. stress test your equip.

Only because people (okay, ME!) strip the original screws. I like having socket head screws.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
Only because people (okay, ME!) strip the original screws. I like having socket head screws.

screws that come with those plastic washers on them are nice too, because then you don't strip the paint off the box when you tighten the screw all the way down, which leads to corrosion on the outside cover...

doesn't have anything to do with water intrusion, but it is a nice bonus.

also, the screws used on the ebox are self taping (something like that???). It is best to turn the backwards until you feel them click into the existing thread pattern. That way you're not cutting a new set of threads when you go to screw the box back together.

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
I will update you guys on my situation. Some guys down here helped me troubleshoot for a couple hours. It turned out the fused link cable in the ebox had gotten kinked at some point and died. We just pulled that out and it solved the problem.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
that actually happened to me a few years ago!

It got in the threads for the cap on the E box.

so that fixed all the ski issues you had?!
:Banane13:

I will update you guys on my situation. Some guys down here helped me troubleshoot for a couple hours. It turned out the fused link cable in the ebox had gotten kinked at some point and died. We just pulled that out and it solved the problem.

Top Bottom