eng hard to start when hot

'07 800SXR, hard to start after it has been in use for some time. Need to hold the start button in and give gas to make it start. It would never start if you didn't give it throttle at the same time.
When it is cold with the choke on, I also need to give it gas to make it start.
-Still under waranty but the dealer doesn't try very hard to find the problem.
To me the carbs just don't give it enough gas on a cold or hot start. Maybe both carbs aren't adjusted together properly?
[thks for the input with water in eng compartment]

Whenever my snowmobiles had this problem is was always low compression. Not trying to scare you though. It could be about 10 other things too.
On that new of a boat I would expect compression issues.

I have a gauge and will check the compression. Waranty will be out this August. It got wrecked and flooded last October and only recently got it out of the shop. This hard to start has been like this since brand new last Aug. thks.

Mine was like that until I replaced the worn reeds, installed new plugs, and tuned the carbs properly. She now fires up on the touch of the green.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
I had the same problem a while back which is now rearing its ugly head yet again. The problem the last time was with the carbs-the filters inside the carbs had been gummed up and the gas tank needed a good clean-out. I'd replace the plugs too and do all of the above.

It's your carbs/jetting. My 08 was always a hard starter until I rejetted and put a primer on it. My 05 never had problems starting.

Top Bottom