Engaging the front of the FX-1 to Carve a Turn ?

E350

Site Supporter
I know a video would be helpful, but I am too embarrassed with my poor skiing ability that I wouldn't post a video even if I didn't hate Google/youtube.

But I have a question. Recently I have been leaning forward and engaging the side of the FX-1 about 1 to 1.5 feet back from the tip of the ski to start my turn.

It is precarious balance for me and I am falling allot, but the bond rail hooks up and the ski carves into and quickly out of the turn on a dime. Frickin' amazing!

Questions:

1. Is this turn technique specific to the FX-1?

2. Or do all skis turn best this way and I am just figuring this out?

Note: Previously I have been shifting my weight to the back of the ski, kind of pivoting, kind of carving the back 1/3 of the ski into the turn, then leaning forward to stop from wheelie-ing at the finish of the turn.

P.S. I had another of those rolling on top of the water 50 mph falls yesterday chasing a yatch to get closer to it deeper wakes. Those falls never get better.

Last edited:
I would say all skis will respond well to getting your weight forward during turn initiation. I like to really pressure my front foot during this moment, and also chop the throttle. Once the ski is engaged grab full hold of the smile control lever and pin it

I noticed this being way more of an effective technique for fx1s and 550s but don’t really turn my sj that way, not that I’m an expert racer but it’s more effective for me to keep my weight further back on an sj and basically fall off the side I want to turn and use bars and throttle to get the ski back under me

E350

Site Supporter
@te4250 Bingo. The SN SJ turns completely differently than the FX-1.
My wife, who used to race, and is one with the ski, seems to use the throttle, turning the bars, and hull shape to turn the SN SJ.
She hates riding the FX-1.
I haven't spent enough time on the SN SJ to ride it well. It seems way too "heavy" to me and because of that I really don't like the ski. But I probably just need to ride it allot more.
I can't ride the FX-1 well, but it definitely requires/wants body weight input/shifting to turn properly/efficiently/snappily.

@wydopen I watch the video in your signature every once in a while and it inspires me. I know you are a good father and therefore a good guy. Thank you for the offer, I hope to take you up on it one day.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
@te4250 Bingo. The SN SJ turns completely differently than the FX-1.
My wife, who used to race, and is one with the ski, seems to use the throttle, turning the bars, and hull shape to turn the SN SJ.
She hates riding the FX-1.
I haven't spent enough time on the SN SJ to ride it well. It seems way too "heavy" to me and because of that I really don't like the ski. But I probably just need to ride it allot more.
I can't ride the FX-1 well, but it definitely requires/wants body weight input/shifting to turn properly/efficiently/snappily.

@wydopen I watch the video in your signature every once in a while and it inspires me. I know you are a good father and therefore a good guy. Thank you for the offer, I hope to take you up on it one day.
I'm with you on the SN deal. I prefer the FX1 over the SN by a country mile even though it is harder to ride and much more challenging to get good at. In order of preference for my skis:

1) RNSJ
2) FX1
3 )B1
4) SNSJ

I'm with you on the SN deal. I prefer the FX1 over the SN by a country mile even though it is harder to ride and much more challenging to get good at. In order of preference for my skis:

1) RNSJ
2) FX1
3 )B1
4) SNSJ
I guess I should have specified sn sj, have only ridden a rn once actually. You must be referring to an 08+ sj when you say roundnose? Is there really any difference between a pre 08 and a sn? I was under the impression the bottom deck was the same between the two

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Site Supporter
I guess I should have specified sn sj, have only ridden a rn once actually. You must be referring to an 08+ sj when you say roundnose? Is there really any difference between a pre 08 and a sn? I was under the impression the bottom deck was the same between the two
I ride a pre-08 which I prefer (yes I've ridden an 08+ and no thank you, not a fan), and yes the bottom deck is the same on the older RNs and all SNs, but the handling characteristics are still different. Not sure it's a different center of gravity or what, but I just feel more tied to the water and more stable on the RN. The SNs just feel sloppier and not as precise.

Top Bottom