SXR Engine rebuild options

Cannibal

Tasty Human
Ya, I really do. I've really been wanting to get one, but the cost is prohibitive right now. Been thinking of 86ing the magnets in a stocker, then having #0 lighten it even more. I know it's not the right answer, but gets me close(er).

I figure it will be like $1700 to have Art do it (his prices plus domes, gaskets, orings, shipping...yada, yada, yada). I'm hoping I'm on the high side, but maybe not.

The other option would be that SBT crank, local machining (Newmiller Machine), domes, gaskets, orings, shipping...yada, yada, yada, and come in probably right around $1100. The savings is a flywheel.

I actually run SBT cranks for half the price...trued and welded...haven't had a problem yet. I ran one for 3 seasons and then I had to do a top end 2 years ago, because they were so cheap, i got another. So far, so good.

Not sure where your going to find a used SXR cyllinder. They are tough to find.

I'm currently selling a sxr cylinder that may be able to get by with just a hone. For $400

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I don't know. I'm just not seeing the benefit of that $400 cylinder. Art's bore to 84mm is only $98, then $225 to bore and port the cases.

Also, new sleeves are $115each IIRC plus install (so probably close to $400 total) if I need to go that way, so I don't see the point in a $400 cylinder. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I was just saying that worse case, I could slap sleeves in mine for about $400. No need to buy a cyl.

Now if I had a 750 engine, your cyl would make sense to get better port timing. But since I have a good cyl, its actually cheaper to go up to 84mm than down to 82.

Top Bottom