Enhancer

I have not had any personal experience, but some buddies at the lake said they have went through multiple MSD's. At almost $250 a pop I am scared to gamble on one. It seems like thats what your doing. You could get one that last for years or you might not. Wax's system sounds pretty cool, but might be out of my league. Are there not any other systems that are comparable to MSD?

keefer

T1
I have had my MSD Enhancer for 9+ years and have had no problems. It is a good ignition module IMO. Some of their customer support reps have the personality of a damp dish rag but other than that no complaints. Maybe the newer units are less reliable. I can modify your stock CDI to have the adjustable rev limiter if you would like. I will do it for $50 + shipping, PM me if you are interested and we can discuss it.

F

Freestyleriverrat

BossBailey said:
Thanks RiverRat! What would be the difference in getting an MSD and modifying the stock. Would there be a noticable difference?

The difference is noticable but if you are concerned about reliablity I would just modify the stock unit. I have been on several boats that have gobbs of power and utalize the stock unit. On the stock boat you can advance your static timing by adjusting the stator position. The MSD enhancer has a variable timing that is "programmed" into the unit. I would just focus on other mods for now, if you stock unit goes out it is better to replace it with an enhancer. I have had mine for 2 seasons with no troubles.

Gainera2582

Power and Agility
The only thing i have found out from john at jetski solutions is that 3-4 years ago they were made in mexico, and now they are being made back in the usa. So, I guess that could have been the problem.

Im just trying to weigh the pros/cons. Ill likely keep my stock cdi for a backup no matter what route I take!!!

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
if you advance the stock one you will end up with alot of timing up higher in the range
be very careful when you hold it flat out for to long
how long is to long well you will have to work that out
its different for each boat

yamahammer

are you men the police?
Not really talking about coils, but I recieved a bad -only fired on 1 cylinder- brand new coil from MSD. When I called about warranty they pretty much told me to get f***ed in as many words because the plug wires were cut for installation which is required for installation. I also had an enhancer that quit charging my battery after 2 years. Since these product and warranty experiences my 2 friends and I have all returned to stock coils with revlimiter deleted cdis and could not be happier. Boats hit just as hard in my opinion and will rev to the moon. MSD enhancer raises rev limiter, but does not delete it. just my 2 cents

Y

yamaslut

I have never had a problem w/ them and been running the same one for 4 years.... "put that in you pipe and smoke it"

MSD makes very reliable products.... Look around the Motosports industry's and see what most are running for electrical systems... You will see MSD everywhere...

You also need to take into consideration the person who installed the MSD.. did they do it right, was the black box sealed good??? Did they wire up something wrong and blow it?? all these factors come to light... I have only heard of the price going up, not low quality products from MSD... Also, was the motor they installed it on faulty in some way??? These things just don't always come out when someone posts a bad review...

yamahammer

are you men the police?
I will chime in that I have had very good experiences with there automotive parts in drag car I work on- has MSD distributor, coil, box, and 2 step, but my personal experience with my skis was not up to par with what I would expect or have experienced with their other products. I DONT want to start a everyone s**t on MSD thread. I bought the coil this year and as said the enhancer 2 years ago. They may have had quality control issue that may not have existed before or has been resolved since. I am an auto tech for a living and I know sometimes s**t happens or breaks. If purchase price is an issue as it is for me I was merely suggesting that modded enhancer be tried first if it is not accepeble then get aftermarket cdi of your choice. Have fun either way!!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Hey Nick, MSD's are hit or miss..................... I ran my first one from 99-05, Chris has been through about 3 in as many years........ one only lasted a year...........

But, like all electronics, they can last for years or go out in 2 months time....

Y

yamaslut

Big Kahuna said:
Hey Nick, MSD's are hit or miss..................... I ran my first one from 99-05, Chris has been through about 3 in as many years........ one only lasted a year...........

But, like all electronics, they can last for years or go out in 2 months time....

werd....

sj1million

moto - dirt/h2o
I have one in my ski and have been running it since '01 and has never shipped a beat, but then again a friend had a sponsorship from them and he would go through them almost yearly. He said the only reason he ran them was becuase they were free, other than that he would have gone back to stock.

Have had the same enhancer in my Limited SJ since 2000 with no problems whatsoever. Actually bought and Advent new and it didn't work. Sent it back 3 times and they still couldn't get software right or I had a defective unit. They wouldn't send me another one so I got my money back and put my Enhancer back in and never looked back.

Top Bottom