eric malone new q8 hull !!!!!

They seem to be pretty durable.. We've been throwing this thing (Q8 800 stocker) aorund for the last week or so with no signs of stress or cracks.. I just went off a big boat wake today and landed pretty hard and the Q8 took it like a champ.

Eric Malone is the biggest abuser of jet skis, with his huge double-up jumps...

I guess I see why you guys like these stand-ups so much now..lol.. It's pretty easy..

Both Lee stone and Anthony Burgess ski 's from the world finals look like they are still holding up nicely...

Attachments

• EME q8 by lee stone.jpg
    EME q8 by lee stone.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 5085_220116930300_611420300_7374647_5460407_n.jpg
    5085_220116930300_611420300_7374647_5460407_n.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 253

RiverRat

I rode both Rosies Q8 with the limited kaw motor and Erics 1000cc Q8. I was impressed with the hull. Rosies seemed quite a bit heavier than erics but was still easy to flick around when you were in the water. It takes some getting used to b/c of how short it is. I am 6'1 and it felt a little small for me, I think I would like his original hull more but that is just personal preference.

I told Eric that this hull will revolutionize the sport.....and I firmly believe that. I think the Q8 hull (about 60lbs) with a very reliable limited yamaha motor would be the SH#@ in flatwater freestyle. I honestly think my standard stroke lamey could do double backflips in this hull. And the SXR style bottom and intake grate hood better than the yamaha so it would be the best of both worlds. It would also make the sport more accessable as well. A limted motor in this hull is cheaper than allot of turn key 5mm stroker motors! No more guess work (what hull, what motor, what builder, what style hull, what engine). I think the price is a bit steap for a wetlaid non bagged hull........but that is just me. But as far as capablities..........it is good value for money

The only thing I would change on the hull is the pole bracket area. IMO it needs a true bracket, not just two peices of aluminum on either side of the hull that are bolted to the hull. It needs a base plate that ties the two together. It would be allot stronger and prevent twisting of the nose area. Other than that it seems good. It is thin in spots but as TyphoonTommy said, Eric is hard on his stuff so you just have to trust he knows where to reinforce. If I was building a rec ski I would want mine just a little thicker for increased durablity.. . . . and I sure Eric would accomidate that

Last edited:

RiverRat

Anouther thing worth noting is how it wants to flip. You could go out and spend 6-7k on a shortened SJ "backflip" hull that is difficult to flip b/c the that hull does not want to flip. It is just how the bottom deck was designed. The neat thing about the Q8 is how it will ride nose high, but does not handle like a chopped hull.........if that makes sense. Everything is porportional on it so it handles, tracks, planes out properly and behaves like a mini SXR

Last edited:

CarFanatic

Fiberglassing Newb
wow... good bit of imput from riverrat.. I"m looking into hulls for next year.. and if this is a hull that will be reliable for a few years could be the way to go with my current motor.

cool!! I would say a good thing for you is your only a few hunderd miles from Eric, so you can pick it up, meet him, etc..

Where in Cinccy you live, we have an event 2nd weekend sept in Hamilton..

RiverRat

wow... good bit of imput from riverrat.. I"m looking into hulls for next year.. and if this is a hull that will be reliable for a few years could be the way to go with my current motor.

As long as you take care of it you should be ok. No riding it up onto the trailer or stuff like that. Treat it like any other lightweight aftermarket hull

RiverRat

Great time this weekend in Pittsburgh...I was out there for my first event with my newly built ski and what an expereince it truly was. Seeing Eric on his Q8 ripping back flips, flares, & no handed barrel rolls with ease was truly amazing from 10 feet away.

However, even more amazing was getting the chance to ride his Q8 EME 1000. Not knowing what to expect I was extremely timid at first after a couple minutes of get a little too comforatable I quickly found out that I wasn't quite ready for that much BRRRRAAAAPPPPP!!!! After making a nice little setup wake and coming around I barely hit the throttle and found myself up-side-down about 6 feet off the surface of the water and bailing out of fear for my life. I don't get scarred often and I can't remember the last time I was that terrified. Needless to say after that moment I made a b-line back into shore to try to recompose myself.

It was really cool of Eric to hand me his Q8 and let me try it even though it was way too much for me to handle. I was considering pourchasing a new 900 stroker motor with power valves, but after seeing and riding a Q8 and seeing Eric almost do a backie with Rosie's Q8 with the stock Kawi motor in it, I quickly relized I would be better off dropping 6 to 8 grand into one of Eric's hulls with my current motor instead of having a new motor built for me.

That was hillarious!!! The look on you face was priceless!! I am surprised u did not kiss the ground once you got back on shore.....:haha: Good times

smusleh

JetSkiExtrm
That was hillarious!!! The look on you face was priceless!! I am surprised u did not kiss the ground once you got back on shore.....:haha: Good times

I was took shocked to kiss the ground as I was still trmbling with fear...lol Glad you guys got a kick out of my scare. Always a pleasure to entertain even when my a$$ is on the line :jester:

Price on the q8 hulls? it looks right now like the q8 kicks ass the other is the rickterfs1 i heard the rickter is heavy hull but this q8 seems so so rad!!! wish they posted prices on the websites:aargh4:

Top Bottom