essay on stand up jetskis

This is paper for my high school English class. its supposed to be about a childhood memory/experience. hope you guys enjoy and the grammar police are welcome. this still needs to be edited but here it is. I know my grammar and spelling isn't perfect so bare with me.

Jet Ski is life

Who would’ve thought a $250 jet ski could have changed someone’s life. Well that’s exactly what happened to me. It all started when I was 11 years old on a Friday evening in the summer of 2011. Me and my brother had been wanting standup jet skis for a long time but never really pursued getting one. One day while looking on craigslist for good deals on boats and motorcycle he found a 1987 650sx standup jet ski for $300 that had been sitting for a few yrs. My brother went and looked at it and it turned out that the guy actually had two that he wanted to sell. A Kawasaki 1987 js550 and a 1987 650sx. Me and my brother managed to buy both with a trailer for $500. My brother got the nicer 650sx because he found the deal even though we split them $250 apiece. The next day I got my js550 running. Although it didn’t run well I still managed to dunk it in the lake and ride it. I sat there and tried and tried to get it started but it just didn’t want to start. The battery was almost dead but I tried it one last time before pulling it out of the water to do more work. Thankfully it started on that last try. I hopped on and stood up right away. I knew after that first ride I was hooked. I had only ridden one once before and it was only on my knees when I was 9yrs old, but I managed not to fall. I rode that old ski for about 6 months before up grading. The old ski was just too unreliable and slow. I sold the old girl for $400 to a random guy off craigslist. There was a period of about a month where I didn’t have a ski to ride and almost went crazy. I wanted to buy a Yamaha super jet but couldn’t afford one so decided to go with a Kawasaki 750 sx/sxi. After checking craigslist every day for a month I eventually found a mint 1995 750sxi for $1500. That ski took me from liking the sport to loving it. A year later I sold it for $2000 to buy a better ski. I bought a 1987 300sx single cylinder Junker ski and another js550 for cheap skis to flip for money and ride while I waited for what I really wanted. Wanting a Yamaha fx1 I had to wait many months for the right one to come along as only 1500 were ever made. I found the one in Tampa and traded a bunch of parts and $1800 and it was mine. I’ve now had that ski for almost 2 yrs and enjoy every ride. I will never sell this ski and know every nut and bolt of it. This ski got me into freestyle and keeps the fire in my heart for standup jet skis burning hotter than ever. I now run a full on jet ski shop out of my garage and currently own 11 jet skis 2 of them being worth $3000 a piece. I’ve owned 32 jet skis. And worked on 130 plus skis. I’ve always been very mechanically inclined but jet skis took that to the next level. In 5 years I have gone from having a net worth of $1600 to over $12000. Not bad for a 16 year old. Nobody gave me $12000. I had to go out and work for it. Standup jet skis are my life. I eat sleep and dream standup jet skis. I’ve made many great friends through standup jet skis. One of them being Phillip who has been a truly great friend. I’ve got many of my friends hooked as well and we enjoy the thrill together. I’m working overtime in the garage to afford an aftermarket freestyle ski. They are not cheap and as they say “freestyle” isn’t “free”. Ill end up spending around ten grand to own the ski of my dreams. The majority of people will never understand why someone would ever spend that much on a jet ski so I’m not going to bother trying to explain it but anyone who has ridden one understands. That first standup Jet Ski truly changed my life and I’m not just saying that. Not a moment goes by that I’m not thinking about them. I will always be involved in them as long as I live and don’t know where I’d be without that first js550.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
Sounds like me. Started out on a 150 dollar js550, owned 36 jet skis in past 3.5 years and being able to make money as well as enjoy the hell out of my hobby. I started when I was 19 tho. Which I had at 16.

Story rings true here also. Started with a $150 SuperJet back when I was 17, and my buddy got a 650SX. Fast forward 10 years, we were college roommates and now business partners. Owned somewhere between 500-700 skis at this point. Salvage and parts are our specialty, around 10,000 parts on the shelf and 130 complete skis to tear down this winter. Jetski life can consume you!!

This is paper for my high school English class. its supposed to be about a childhood memory/experience. hope you guys enjoy and the grammar police are welcome. this still needs to be edited but here it is. I know my grammar and spelling isn't perfect, so bear with me.

Jet Ski is life

Who would’ve thought a $250 jet ski could have changed someone’s life. Well, that’s exactly what happened to me. It all started when I was 11 years old, on a Friday evening in the summer of 2011. My brother and I had been wanting standup jet skis for a long time but never really pursued getting one. One day while looking on craigslist for good deals on boats and motorcycles, he found a 1987 650sx standup jet ski for $300 that had been sitting for a few yrs. My brother went and looked at it and it turned out that the guy actually had two that he wanted to sell. A Kawasaki 1987 js550 and a 1987 650sx. My brother and I managed to buy both with a trailer for $500. My brother got the nicer 650sx, because he found the deal even though we split them for $250 apiece. The next day I got my js550 running. Although it didn’t run well, I still managed to dunk it in the lake and ride it. I sat there and tried and tried to get it started but it just didn’t want to start. The battery was almost dead but I tried it one last time before pulling it out of the water to do more work. Thankfully it started on that last try. I hopped on and stood up right away. I knew after that first ride that I was hooked. I had only ridden one once before and it was only on my knees when I was 9yrs old, but I managed not to fall. I rode that old ski for about 6 months before upgrading. The old ski was just too unreliable and slow. I sold the old girl for $400 to a random guy off craigslist. There was a period of about a month when I didn’t have a ski to ride and almost went crazy. I wanted to buy a Yamaha Superjet but couldn’t afford one, so decided to go with a Kawasaki 750 sx/sxi. After checking craigslist every day for a month, I eventually found a mint 1995 750sxi for $1500. That ski took me from liking the sport to loving it. A year later I sold it for $2000 to buy a better ski. I bought a 1987 300sx single cylinder Junker ski and another js550 for cheap skis to flip for money and ride while I waited for what I really wanted. Wanting a Yamaha fx1, I had to wait many months for the right one to come along, since only 1500 were ever made. I found one in Tampa and traded a bunch of parts and $1800 and it was mine. I’ve now had that ski for almost 2 yrs and enjoyed every ride. I will never sell this ski and know every nut and bolt on it. This ski got me into freestyle and keeps the fire in my heart for standup jet skis burning hotter than ever. I now run a "full on" jet ski shop out of my garage and currently own 11 jet skis, 2 of them worth $3000 a piece. I’ve owned 32 jet skis and worked on 130 plus skis. I’ve always been very mechanically inclined but jet skis took that to the next level. In 5 years I have gone from having a net worth of $1600 to over $12000. Not bad for a 16 year old. Nobody gave me $12000. I had to go out and work for it. Standup jet skis are my life. I eat, sleep and dream standup jet skis. I’ve made many great friends through standup jet skis. One of them being Phillip, who has been a truly great friend. I’ve got many of my friends hooked as well and we enjoy the thrill together. I’m working overtime in the garage to afford an aftermarket freestyle ski. They are not cheap and as they say: “freestyle” isn’t “free”. Ill end up spending around ten grand to own the ski of my dreams. The majority of people will never understand why someone would ever spend that much on a jet ski, so I’m not going to bother trying to explain it but anyone who has ridden one understands. That first standup Jet Ski truly changed my life and I’m not just saying that. Not a moment goes by that I’m not thinking about them. I will always be involved with them, as long as I live and don’t know where I’d be without that first js550.

You are to be commended! Most other teenagers spend at least 10 hours a day texting, posting on social media or playing computer games - that, of course, would not leave any time for skis.
I had somewhat edited your treatise above- names such as " Craigslist " and "SX" should be in caps also.

Last edited:

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Impressive man! Keep it up, but don't limit yourself to only jet skis. Lots of money in other things. dirt bikes, quads, cars, boats, houses, rentals, etc

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
That is a good story. We all commend your work ethic. You do have grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors which you recognize need to be corrected. The latter part seems a little less organized than the beginning but that may be due to the loss of formatting. You welcomed the "grammar police" but I can't help proof your paper from my phone. I think you have an excellent draft. I am sure someone else will be able to help you proof. We can try to be as supportive as you need if you do not have others to help. Simply ask.

The only thing more commendable than your passion for the sport is your work ethic. The world needs more young people like yourself.

That is a good story. We all commend your work ethic. You do have grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors which you recognize need to be corrected. The latter part seems a little less organized than the beginning but that may be due to the loss of formatting. You welcomed the "grammar police" but I can't help proof your paper from my phone. I think you have an excellent draft. I am sure someone else will be able to help you proof. We can try to be as supportive as you need if you do not have others to help. Simply ask.

The only thing more commendable than your passion for the sport is your work ethic. The world needs more young people like yourself.
thanks guys. I had my English teacher proof read it and now its all good. I got a 98%

My first jetski was FREE and it still doesn't run even though I have slaved away on it for three years now, I bought a 440 two years ago and i just built a brand new 550 motor for it then my ebox died. So I got pissed and bought a rn sj that runs I work on them for two full years before I ever got to ride one! This is my first year!

Top Bottom