Surfriding Eye Protection

TheCoz43

Jet Surfer
What is the best way to keep water out of your eyes riding in the surf? I plan to by a helmet soon and was wondering if there are any goggles or facesheilds that you can see out of but will still keep water out of the eyes?

goggles and helmet combo make it feel like your head is stuck in a wet jar. A helmet with a large visor does help deflect water with a quick nod of the head. just rivet the visor so it doesn't slide up or break off....my $.02

Yeah, it's something that you just get used to. Sometimes at the start of the ride the salt bothers my eyes briefly. The worst is the glare off the water sometimes.

At the recent grayland open it was horrible. THere was this white foam that was floating over the water in some places and it hurt so bad to keep my eyes open. II was closing my eyes pretty much till I got passed it.

TheCoz43

Jet Surfer
I know most people don't wear anything, It isn't too bad, just have been riding lately several times a week for a couple hours a day. I'm not new to the surf, Just checking for options.

I ride with contacts in the surf, you learn to close your eyes at the right times to avoid stinging. You might have irritation after for a bit but it's not a huge deal. Goggles are a pain because they will get ripped off pretty easy unless you have a clasp for them on the helmet.

I the surf I think the oakley's would get ripped off, or hurt where the frame contacts your face if you took a forceful amount of water to the head.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Theres a guy locally who rides with goggles (he's a member) they're more of a single lens with the foam to hold it to your face.
Another guy wears sunglasses and a helmet.

I can't imagine what salt feels like, at speed fresh (dirty Texas) water stings. I imagine you can get something that works with a helmet and a way to keep them from coming off.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I tried a pair of the Jettribe goggles, fogged up like crazy. I even enlarged the vent holes and cleared the foam away from them, they just don't work for freeriding, maybe racing for more air flow, but not slower speed stuff, that's for sure.

skinnyman

YOU CANT RENT MY SKI
I have to ride with glasses due to being Mr Magoo with out them
Currently RX ray bans with rain ex on them.Cloth strap with bead to adjust tension Helmet no issues.In the cold water surf anti fog or tooth paste works.

IMG154.jpgIMG153.jpg I got tired of losing contacts, Haven't field tested yet, but I may drill and ziptie to the center bar for extra rigidness.

Edit: Works better than expected, had to un-train myself to flinch and blink every time there's spray off the bow, rainX lasted for about 2 hrs in surf and made a huge difference in clarity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom