Factory pipe bolts backing out!!750sx

I have a 750 sx and my factory pipe bolts keep backing out of the factory pipe mani.... Have re-tapped the holes and tried red lock tight but still no luck... Any ideas??? Upgrade are in pictures.image.jpgimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    556.2 KB · Views: 31
"Install the Factory Pipe headpipe and chamber assembly onto the exhaust manifold using the headpipe gasket, three 10 x 1.25 x 50mm bolts and 10mm lock washers (items #6,7,8) Use Loctite 242 and torque to 32 ft.-lb."

From Factory Pipe. I was off.

I use a generous amount of red loctite and that works the best. However they still do back out occasionally, I had two of mine back out after a year or so. I would make sure the bolts and holes are clean, and try it again. I think that will have the strongest hold. Also make sure you've got the right length and plenty of thread engagement for the loctite to bond to.

On every factory piped ski in our riding group this has happened. It's just a lot of mass hanging out there. Perhaps one thing to consider is looking at the lord mount bushing. A newer one might support the pipe better? Just a thought. Some day when I have my drill press up and running I'm going to try drilling the heads so I can lockwire those bolts. I think that would be an even secure method on top of the red loctite.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
That's ok @theVetteman3 as long as you don't take it in the surf.Would worry me to think l drowned those bolts in red loctite and then couldn't get them free.

Salt:natures loctite!

Lol. No salt water running here. Plus red loctite breaks down with heat pretty easily. Galvanic corrosion can be very nasty, I'd much prefer filling all that space with red loctite rather than that.

Plus, aren't we talking about them backing out as the problem, not staying put???

In my opinion the threebond would do a good job in sealing the threads, however would provide minimal retaining torque. 1211 is also an aerobic sealant. Threadlocker is usually anaerobic. You want anaerobic in a thread application for torque hold.

I have had my headpipe screws back out. I have even had all screws come loose at once the the headpipe came free and ski was really full of water - not cool. I always use red loctite and I still have one occasionally come loose. I might even try a higher temp loctite as well. I have never had any issue with getting the bolts out. If I ever did have issues, the area is pretty accessible in my sxi-pro to get heat on it. Main issue is probably just not enough stretch on the bolts. They are M10s and have a pretty small clamp length. Longer bolts with washers should help.

Also never use lock washers - with heat cycles they can back out the fasteners. Also be weary of stainless fasteners into aluminum. That is where you can get issues - especially with salt water.

I had this trouble. Don't over torque your bolts either because you'll break your manifold.
The bolts kept backing out time after time and only solution I had was cut out the thread, weld it up and tap it to 3/8 16. Install studs and use a double nut
Nylon lock nuts didn't hold because of the heat. Loctite didn't hold because the heat. KIMG1612.jpg KIMG1686.jpg KIMG1691.jpg

I had the same problem. One of my bolts end up snapped torquing it while it was hot then the vibration snapped it..long story short my factory pipe bolts would never stay put.repalced lord mount and one front engine mount, red loc tite and they haven't backed out again. Also found out any type of washers I used made it way worse and lock washers were also a horrible idea.

Big-sets and 10.9 HC steel bolts and shimming any gaps for the mounts on your exhaust. I broke about 20 bolts on my 750 with the coffeman rocket pipe. Only thing that worked for me. Stainless and 12.9 bolts are too brittle. Dont mess with helicoils or even time-serts, go big-sets they have more holding power and be sure to shim the exhaust mounts if there is a gap. I had to make a new mounting bracket out of stainless plate for my pipe. The holes were ovaled out causing more vibration. If had a lot of frustrated weekends at the river with my heavy pipe snapping bolts. I learned the hard way. Haha I also painted the heads of the bolts to prevent rust since they were steel and use red loctite.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would suggest getting a longer bolt and a spacer. Look on mcmaster Carr. If you could add about 1/2 inch it may hold.. more stretch in the bolt will make it less likely to loosen due to vibration or thermal expansion.

Top Bottom