Few questions on shoes

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I've been reviewing all the past threads on shoes but have a few questions I hope some can chime in and help me with.

I don't want to break the bank, but I'm tired of my feet being cold and buying shoes that wear out in less than a season.

Right now I'm looking at these:

Jet Pilot Jet Lite Boots - LINK
Pros - Neoprene lining, high ankle support
Cons - Read that they fall apart quickly, very hard sole

Teva Gnarkosi Water Shoes - LINK
Pros - Excellent drainage
Cons - No ankle support, they don't look very warm

The biggest thing for me is that I want to keep my feet warm when I'm riding in cold weather and have some shoes that last. The coldest I'd be riding in is probably 60 degree waters and maybe 55 degree air.

Thanks for any help!

I would go with the Teva shoes and buy some neopream socks. I have some jet pilots water shoes and they are nice, but you are right they don't usually last.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Neoprene socks 3 mil and vans high tops for me. Used to wear wrestling shoes, but they don't protect that good when my dumb arse misses the foothold kicking in. I wear the booties under my shoes year round. Way more comfy and added padding.

Anything Jetpilot is worthless IMO.

Get some Asics and 5mm dive socks on Ebay. Get 2 sizes bigger than you wear.

I buy used size 13 Asics on Ebay (most wrestlers get new shoes every year so the couple pair I have bought have been like new) with 5mm dive socks and they last 4+ seasons.

I've been reviewing all the past threads on shoes but have a few questions I hope some can chime in and help me with.

I don't want to break the bank, but I'm tired of my feet being cold and buying shoes that wear out in less than a season.

Right now I'm looking at these:

Jet Pilot Jet Lite Boots - LINK
Pros - Neoprene lining, high ankle support
Cons - Read that they fall apart quickly, very hard sole

Teva Gnarkosi Water Shoes - LINK
Pros - Excellent drainage
Cons - No ankle support, they don't look very warm

The biggest thing for me is that I want to keep my feet warm when I'm riding in cold weather and have some shoes that last. The coldest I'd be riding in is probably 60 degree waters and maybe 55 degree air.

Thanks for any help!

WTF your worried about cold feet in 60° water temps. Shoot 60 is when we start to take off our wet suit.

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I don't like to be cold, simple as that.

I've heard a lot about asics, is it just because of the support they offer?

Socks sound like a great idea. I'm definitely going to check that out.

No they just are built to take a beating! In wrestling we lived in them.....ran...all work outs.....wrestling matches.....they are tough! It has been so long now I caxn't even remember who turned me on them for jetskiing but man they are perfect. I try to wait for a good deal on Ebay...like 30 shipped....the 5mm dive socks are cheap...like 13 shipped.

Also this combo keeps all the Lake Erie shell/sand mix out of my shoes!

I HATE cold too! I dang near wear at least a shorty all Summer....at least until it is over 85 air.....lol.

Neoprene socks 3 mil and vans high tops for me. Used to wear wrestling shoes, but they don't protect that good when my dumb arse misses the foothold kicking in. I wear the booties under my shoes year round. Way more comfy and added padding.
I wear skate shoes as well . And my feet still hurt from holds do they neoprene socks aid on cushion ? Make the holds not so bad ?

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Yes. They help a lot. I think mine were $35 shipped and worth every penny. Holds feel better and if you get a pebbel or ten in your shoe they pad it nicely. Plus cozy feet. I'm going to try some 5mm like Matt next time. The 3mm work awesome, but when the water is in the 40's and 50's my toes still get a bit numb after 20 min. But I get cold very easy. 5'8" and 160lbs. 45 yrs going on 12. I get cold easy lol.

Yes. They help a lot. I think mine were $35 shipped and worth every penny. Holds feel better and if you get a pebbel or ten in your shoe they pad it nicely. Plus cozy feet. I'm going to try some 5mm like Matt next time. The 3mm work awesome, but when the water is in the 40's and 50's my toes still get a bit numb after 20 min. But I get cold very easy. 5'8" and 160lbs. 45 yrs going on 12. I get cold easy lol.
nice sounds like the 3mil ones will work perfect for me . Btw water here is like 80 degrees . Problem is air temp is horrible . 100+ in the summer

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a good pair of asics, worth a shot. I just ordered myself a pair of BlueSeventy neoprene socks. They are only 2mm thick, but I have a pair of swim shorts from the same company and they are really durable. We'll see how they work out, might pick up a thicker set for colder days after trying these out.

Thanks for the help guys!

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Make sure you get the ALL rubber sole and front toe area Asics, not the ones with rubber pads on bottom and that suede stuff in-between and toe area. Those get slimy when wet and you lose major traction in those areas.
I have my regular summer shoes and then like mentioned here for cold weather have a size bigger and wear 3mm neoprene socks.

I suppose if i lived where some of you guys do I would have 2 size bigger shoe and 5mm!

Last edited:
tommy D sports on ebay sells the 5mm socks for 12$ shipped. i had asics split seconds with the translucent color soles and they are slick as snot. the old asics with the black soles grip good and i just got a pair of dan gable ultimate asics and they are very grippy. they are rubber accented on the toe/top also, so grip top and bottom in tight footholds.

OP, i have the gnarkosis and wear ankle high 3m neoprene socks with them throughout the whole season. I even had them on in 39 degree water opening day this season (march 2nd). There were still icebergs. While i cant say my feet were comfortably warm out there that day, they were manageable for 1-2 hours of riding. The neoprene works as long as you tie the shoes tight. If you leave them loose then the neoprene wont work. I absolutely love the shoes for several reasons. 1) they drain super fast. 2) they look great, like a normal shoe that i've even worn out to dinner after riding when i didnt have anything else 3) i typically have issues with all of my shoes smelling bad as soon as they get wet. Im not sure what these are made out of but 2 years in and they have never had a foul odor. I hear the one downside of these is that they dont fit into some footholds so keep that in mind

This is what I love about the X. I have never even heard of neoprene socks before, but sounds like a great part of your riding gear. It's cold here in Michigan, I'm getting some of those baby's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazyt747

Cool Beanz
I am stoked to get these in. Having warm feet plus not having to deal with sand and rocks drilling into your feet when you ride sounds awesome to me!

Man, I'm on the fence about the shoes. What model asics last the longest and have the best grip? The Teva's sound sick if I can find a good deal on them.

Subbed! I will be buying a pair of the neoprene socks! My footholds have been tearing up my feet BAD even through my Slippery water shoes. Problem is my foot size, I wear a 13/14 regularly (6'4" 220lbs). If I get a 3mm sock, will I need like a size 15 shoe?

Top Bottom