Custom/Hybrid Finally finished my Stunt hull!

Well, I was going to wait until I got all the kinks worked out of this ski before posting but I decided to filet my fingers so I have a couple weeks of down time.

I got this hull from a friend last November and didn't really do any research before buying it. Had I done any research I probably wouldn't have bought it. That being said, I'm really glad I did because it's been fun working on it and making it my own.

When I got it, it was just a bare painted hull. The guy I bought it from had already painted it and did a great job as you can see. Then he lost interest when he realized how much attention the ski needed before it was ready for water, sold it to me, and bought a BOB lol. It was purchased by him straight from Highroller as a bolt in and go hull. I soon found out, as my buddy did, it wasn't that simple. It had all of the pump inserts, rideplate inserts, and engine mounting plates already installed but I had to re-align the entire drivetrain and even rip the engine mounting plates out because they were leaning out and needed about 1/2" of shimming in the front. But I think most of the guys who bought ready to go hulls had this problem as well. I also ripped out the rear exhaust that had been installed and made my own rear, side exit setup.

The most difficult part was the handpole mount tho. I saw Waternut's carnage and didn't really want to mess up this already great looking paint job by glassing the top flat like Sanoman did. So I glassed the underside flat and fabricated a top plate to help dispurse the load.

Here is my full setup:

Hull:
Xmetal handpole
Shark Fab steering
Blowsion bars
Blowsion finger throttle
ODI grips
(Waiting on Thrust trim lever and cable)
One Rule 500GPH bilge, may add a second
Two Versiplug R's
Deka ETX12 battery
Kawasaki 300SX fuel tank with Westcoast stainless fuel lines
JetManiac ratchet strap and limiting rope setup
Couch engine mounts
Blowsion Kenny keepers

Pump and driveline:
Solas JetPro stator
Solas Concord 13/17 repitched to 12/15 and set back 3mm by Impros
Pro-Tec Maxi-loader reduction nozzle
Riva extended steering nozzle
Modified Raider trim ring for C.A.T.S
Worx 201 intake grate
Triton billet midshaft housing
GP800 midshaft, I think....lol. It came with the hull.
BUN kawi style couplers

Engine:
61x top end freestyle ported by Jetworks
ADA girdled head
64x cases
Boyeson RAD valves
R&D intake manifold
Dual 44mm GRS carbs
ProK flame arrestors with outerwears prefilters
Factory Pipe, limited chamber
Xmetal waterbox (new, quiet version)
Stock 62T electronics

I rode the ski once before I mangled my hand and it was having some carb issues. Other than that it was definately a different ride coming off a square nose SJ. I think once I get the engine dialed in and the trim hooked up it will be a great little ski. Total weight without fuel was 255lbs. A couple pics.......

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0029-1.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

Last edited:

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
That is a dayum nice looking stunt. I'd hazard to say it's now the best looking stunt. Sano's old/ivanspeed's new stunt is a close second...now. Nice build. Let's hear some ride reports and video.

i wonder what happened to that over on pwc today. It looks great, i hope you enjoy it.

I just noticed, I guess the gp800 midshaft is short, and you can move your tank farther forward:scratchchin:. My tanks pickups are underneath that hood seal and it sucks:smashfreakB:

Last edited:
That is a dayum nice looking stunt. I'd hazard to say it's now the best looking stunt. Sano's old/ivanspeed's new stunt is a close second...now. Nice build. Let's hear some ride reports and video.

Thanks man! I tried hard to make everything look like it belonged on the ski. I do wish I had received it unassembled tho, I would have done a lot different. For that reason I would say Sano's ski is probably built better and stronger than mine.

I rode it once and it was having some carb issues. But I can say it felt like I had the weight centered pretty good which was one of my biggest concerns. It wasn't too nose high when making set up wakes and at cruising speed it didn't try to sub on me. My only real complaint is that when I let off the throttle from cruising it shoots a lot of water over the nose and blinds you. But that seems to be a problem the other Stunt owners are having too.

i wonder what happened to that over on pwc today. It looks great, i hope you enjoy it.

I just noticed, I guess the gp800 midshaft is short, and you can move your tank farther forward:scratchchin:. My tanks pickups are underneath that hood seal and it sucks:smashfreakB:

Lol, I was told that's what shaft it is but I'm not positive. I just know it's REALLY short. Having the tank farther back helped a lot with fitting that Xmetal box up front. And I still had to hack it up a bit to make it fit. :frown:

Last edited:

Bobert540

Site Supporter
Nice clean build!! The water in the face can kind of get annoying but once you ride it more you can avoid it a little better. The bond line mod Sano did seemed to help him. Where do you usually ride?

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Waternut made a splash guard for the nose that works fine. When I ride his I don't feel like I ever get sprayed.

Waternut

Customizing addict
The splash guard is nice. I never figured out a way to not get splashed without jumping like a wus. I didn't make mine huge because I do like the refreshing spray on a hot day. I just wanted to bring the bucket of water in the face down to a light splash in the face. You could easily just returf that forward section of the bond line. I think all I did was add 2 layers of biax about 12-16 inches long at the front.

One word of warning... Your padding looks like it was tapered off/squashed down to be flush with the back edge of the hull. I did that too and combined it with the highroller footholds that you have. I rode that setup for about a month before slipping off the back of the hull on a big jump and shaving my shin down to the bone. Push down on the back edge real hard with your finger and see if you can feel an edge. If so, BAD NEWS! My recommendation is to either wear shin guards or change the footholds/padding to better protect you.

Thanks Bobert! I usually ride on the Nanticoke river. Theres a small beach area with flat water and some boat traffic about 20 minutes from my house.

I think I might just deal with the overspray this year and I will definately be building some kind of splash guard over the winter. Maybe I'll get some goggles for now, lol.

As far as the rear tray goes Waternut, I remembered your post when I was turfing it and smoothed that rail out so it wasn't sharp. Hopefully that will be enough.

chad

I pretty much love beer
Site Supporter
Try a quick ride without your intake grate, or try a stock one,,,, it really helped on mine . Nice build. I like where the tank is back a bit as well thought about changing mine like that

Yeh the water splashing is really annoying, but if you dont go fast you wont have that problem:grumble: I like your pole bracket plate on top, seems like a good idea. I havnt had any problems yet with mine (bracket on the underside). That area is super thick, but its a high stress area.

my ski doesnt really ride nose high either. My ride plate is a little past the back of the hull, the only thing thats been annoying me lately (maybe i didnt notice it last season) but off a setup wake this thing just wants to flip, without even trying it does a half rotation and I land upsidedown, thats with no trim and a stock 701 with no effort.

Im curious to what your doing for air intake, is your only intake in your pole? I have some breathers in my hood and they let in a ton of water, surprisingly the little versiplugs (ive got the same ones you do) drain a fair amount of water, but while sitting still they let some water in, and Im not running bilges either.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Just remember... Weight distribution on these hulls is very touchy so if it's not a perfect ride when you first get out, it's not as big of a deal as you might think. I've literally done just about everything to move the weight backwards and then forwards again due to various mods. 10-15lbs gained/lost or moved in the right/wrong place is really all it takes to change the hull from perfect to almost unrideable.

Try a quick ride without your intake grate, or try a stock one,,,, it really helped on mine . Nice build. I like where the tank is back a bit as well thought about changing mine like that

Thanks I'll do that on the next ride. That reminds me, did everyone grind the piss out of the front of the intake grate to make it sit flush in the hull? When I mocked it up there was about 1/2" sticking above the hull in the front and the scoop was hanging about 1/4" too low(compared to how low it hangs on my buddies SN). I ground so much out of the front of the intake that I had to take it to my buddies machine shop and have him weld the voids shut and mill some new flat mounting areas for the bolt heads.

Yeh the water splashing is really annoying, but if you dont go fast you wont have that problem:grumble: I like your pole bracket plate on top, seems like a good idea. I havnt had any problems yet with mine (bracket on the underside). That area is super thick, but its a high stress area.
my ski doesnt really ride nose high either. My ride plate is a little past the back of the hull, the only thing thats been annoying me lately (maybe i didnt notice it last season) but off a setup wake this thing just wants to flip, without even trying it does a half rotation and I land upsidedown, thats with no trim and a stock 701 with no effort.
Im curious to what your doing for air intake, is your only intake in your pole? I have some breathers in my hood and they let in a ton of water, surprisingly the little versiplugs (ive got the same ones you do) drain a fair amount of water, but while sitting still they let some water in, and Im not running bilges either.

Right now I just have the pole breathers. I honestly don't think its going to be enough tho, I was just in a hurry to get to the water and didn't have time or enough glass left over to build a hood liner. It is going to get some kind of hood breather in the future tho, theres no way those two hoses are enough. One of them is full of wires and cables, lol.

Just remember... Weight distribution on these hulls is very touchy so if it's not a perfect ride when you first get out, it's not as big of a deal as you might think. I've literally done just about everything to move the weight backwards and then forwards again due to various mods. 10-15lbs gained/lost or moved in the right/wrong place is really all it takes to change the hull from perfect to almost unrideable.

Yeah I read all the Stunt threads and this had me worried the most but after the first ride I don't think it needs much adjustment at all. I didnt even notice much difference between a full tank and empty. My stitches come out on the 7th so hopefully I will get another ride after that.

This is why you shouldn't modify power tools :banghead:

IMAG0034-2.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, yep. I used a stone wheel that wasn't designed for that kind of speed and the wheel exploded on me. I won't be doing that again....

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Very nice clean job man! l just saw the thread this morning.Glad you read all the threads from the other stunt builders before doing yours.We all kinda (ok,we all made mistakes,except that dam chad dude!) made mistakes.But,we didn't have much to go by.lf it wasn't for chad helping me with my build,it would have still been in my garage.

l guess you looked at my breathers l installed.Frogskinz Maybe you can refine my install to your liking.

And diffidently the best looking stunt out there! Great Job!

Thanks Sanoman. Yes I saw your breathers and really liked the way they turned out. I have a few ideas in mind and I even have an extra hood already painted and ready to go in case I mess this one up lol.

And all the build threads were a huge help! I couldn't have done this without them and a couple of you even helped out when I PM'd you with questions. So thanks guys it was much appreciated!

Last edited:
Haha, thanks Brad. If you hadn't sold me this I would still be on a stock hull. Matter of fact, I doubt I would have ever been able to justify spending money on an aftermarket hull. Now I'm hooked and I doubt this will be my last, lol. Thanks man.

Nice lookin stunt! I've grown to love the way these ride, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. You should come down to peach bottom this weekend. A whole bunch of us are gonna be camping and riding the river. Shouldn't be too far. Should be another stunt there too along with a bunch of other sick skis. It's free and is always a good time

Last edited:
Top Bottom