First Standup, First Ride

Picked up my first standup last night, and got it in the water today. Don't think I'll be getting bored with it any time soon! 1987 Kawasaki JS550. West Coast motor, pipe, and water box. Mikuni carb, K&N, and all new lines / hoses. Runs like a top, and sounds mean and loud.

Trouble is I can't figure out what size the engine or carb are. Can't see any numbers. The numbers on the flywheel housing are for a 550, but the housing looks like the oldest thing in the ski. The rest of the motor is new.

I got up on the first try, but the turns are going to take a bit to get used to. I'm taking them real wide right now. It was pretty choppy today, so I kept it 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Still felt like I was flying. It was proposing pretty hard in the chop. Any tips for this newb? When I get enough posts, I'll put up engine pics, maybe you guys can help me figure out what's in it.

My issue with turns when i first started was that i wouldnt turn my shoulders the direction i was turning. For me when i turned left i turned my shoulders left. When i turned right i still turned my shoulders left. Lol. You get off balance super fast doing that. It was something i didnt even notice i was doing until a friend pointed it out. You'll have the hang of it in no time :) Setting up a couple buoys to challenge yourself helps too.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
Whatever direction your turning put that foot in the front of the tray. Outside foot stays at the rear to keep the back corner planted. To help with the proposing get an intake grate that has a scoop on it. It will keep the ski hooked up.

Lean forward or put your weight on your forward foot to stop proposing. Also an aftermarket extended ride plate can help with proposing but tray time will cure it more than likely.

Also you can shim the ride plate to help with the porpoising, worked great for my 440, huge improvement. I learned to blip the throttle in tight turns, helps with control vs keeping the throttle open.

It's fun learning to ride these things!

Top Bottom