First time build - FX-1

I just started tearing my fx-1 down. For now I just plan to reinforce, paint, defoam, and add footholds and drains. Nothing crazy, and no performance upgrades for now since the budget wont allow it. Just hull work. This will probably be a boring build for those watching, but I wanted to start a thread so that I had a place to ask my 10 million questions lol. Here are a couple pics of what it looked like before the build. It might be the ugliest ski ever. I don't know what the previous owner was thinking....

unnamed3.jpg
2.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Edit: Here are a couple pics of the final product. For total build cost see post #299 (or somewhere around that in case previous posts get deleted)

after2.jpg
after1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
My first question is how are you guys reinforcing the hood? do you tear out that hood liner and reinforce, and then glue it back in or do you just leave it out? what is the best way to remove that liner without destroying it if I do plan to reuse it?

Last edited:

RMBC Freeride

Vintage
Site Supporter
Talk to me before you get to crazy on reinforcement. I'm not sure what needs to be reinforced on an FX-1, but I can tell you from experience (on SJ's) that overdoing it will make a light, fun ski into a heavy tank. And it will cut into your budget too...

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
If you're deforming I would lay a couple pieces of glass on the gunslwhales and then a couple pieces on the sides of the engine bay. I did this and mine was pretty damn tough .

When I did my hood I just tore out the liner and reinforced it and layered a new liner into it and put vacuum hose for the air tubes

Does it already have a SJ pump conversion? If not, you are tearing up the tray anyway now is the time to do it.
no it doesn't. I thought about doing this but to be honest I'm just not up for it right now. I want to get this done asap so I can ride it lol. Plus I'm already nervous about the composites work since I've never done any of this before. To jump into that project would be a bit overwhelming for me. I'll do the pump conversion next winter. It will give me something to do. I think I will do the 650sx pump conversion though. It seems much easier, cheaper, and I wont need to tear into the tray. Here is the thread for it http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/fx1-144mm-pump-swap.55230/

Last edited:
Ordered everything from UScomposites the other night. They said everything is 5-10 days out.... I'll get the hull prepped for paint and reinforcement next week while the wife is out of town :)

haha thanks Joker! I just went through your build thread. How much heavier was your hood after you reinforced it and added that foam? I had a guy on PWC tell me that most people don't even bother reinforcing the fx1 hoods so if I can get away without doing it I might save the weight. Or maybe I'll just add one 4" strip all along the bottom edge of the hood just to be safe?

Last edited:

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
haha thanks Joker! I just went through your build thread. How much heavier was your hood after you reinforced it and added that foam? I had a guy on PWC tell me that most people don't even bother reinforcing the fx1 hoods so if I can get away without doing it I might save the weight. Or maybe I'll just add one 4" strip all along the bottom edge of the hood just to be safe?

WetDreams, Don't bother mixing up foam and trying to lay it up inside your hood shell after reinforcement. Then shape and sand etc etc.. its more work and more cost to you. Cut out your liner. Reinforce. Then, before you go to glass your liner back in.. Run out and go get a cheap pool noodle. coil it up and THEN install your liner back in. Its much lighter and cheaper and really wont absorb water like encased and packed in tray foam. I wear a size XL tee. Anti EPA please! Haha J/K.. but no seriously! I am also still in the rebuild phase of my FX1 project. PM me and ill chime in on the reinforcement process and weak areas on the fx1. Good Luck!

Thanks VXS. In his build he used the pink foam sheets so I was going to use that just to provide a form to lay the fiberglass on. I still think I might try to avoid reinforcing the whole hood though if most people say its not needed. I don't know. I'm torn on the subject. if I do reinforce, what is the best way to cut out that liner so I can use it again? will a hot knife do the trick? I have one I can borrow.

LOL and I'm glad to hear you like the anti EPA tee. I've caught more criticism from that one than I thought. I mean I knew it was offensive, and designed it to be that way, but I thought more motorsport guys would appreciate the humor. I guess you and I are some of the few who enjoy not being politically correct :)

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!

The weight went up like 3 lbs. And the only reason i shaped the foam was to get a nice looking hood liner. the foam shaping took me like an hour. The pool noodle is a good idea besides making a clean looking liner.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
I just laid a pieces of 17 oz biax on each side of the hood and she was strong as a rock. I dont have a suggestion on saving the hood liner cause i licoriceed mine all up getting it out.

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
A body saw is all you need to cut the perimeter of the liner. It will come out. Cut the glue in between the glass hood sides and the black plastic liner. And then inside scuff up the glass and lay down a layer of 1708 Biax or 1208 is ok too. You can go all out and cut the top open and remove the fire extinguisher tray. And reshape and make it a nice lighter weight hood skin. Or just leave it stock and reinforce the sides and seal up the top air vents like kye/joker stated before. This is where you'd just use the pool noodle. Later down the road you could cut the hood up again and do the fire ext delete and smoothed topside. It's not rocket science and not to be feared, Just use caution and go slowly.
8f99e70fc78032734583b9115ed157e4.jpg

- as far as the shirt, the message is clear. and without getting deep into liberal tree hugging political garbage.. I do feel our rights and choice of hobbies are infringed upon without justification or rationale. While the epa has its areas of diligence and merit, its shell organization is a much larger front for unnecessary bs, designed to protect and line the pockets of those involved on many levels.. Sell those shirts!

Don't bother reinforcing the hood personally I think it's very strong I backflop and beat the poop out of mine doing rolls and just straight up d!cking around and mine hasn't shown any signs of stress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtybird

Ex*ta*ski
I pretty much did this same thing for the wife's ski.
Totally defoamed and reinforced. Couple layers in the gun whales for good measure. Stock pump didn't want the hassle.
I wish I would have widened the tray is all. Turned out pretty good.uploadfromtaptalk1426815052992.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1426815063244.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1426815067892.jpeg

You'll love your ski once you make it how you want it, if you have any questions let me know I just did a complete FX-1 build and I have thread floating around somewhere I'll try and find a link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom