SX/SXi/SXi Pro Fitting a Super Jet RN pole to SXI hull conversion

Out of curiosity... What are all the parts needed to do this switch and whats a ball park cost.

I know you need the RN pole and turn plate and chin pad. Any thing else...

Also I saw a pole for sale for 120 so lets use that as a starting point...

Thanks for any info.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
All of what you stated and to use the stock kawi pole bracket you need to measure the inside width of the bracket and the width at the pole pivot hole to figure out how thick of spacers you need to center the pole, take the difference between the 2 numbers and divide it in half-the thickness of each spacer needed.. I can't remember how thick mine are, like 3/8" or something..

I was able to cut my stock spring and rebend the one end that pushes on the pole to make it work, I am not sure how a SJ one would work since I never had one to try. The way I did mine it worked great during the mockup.

You have to also modify the upper bracket on the left side to get the strg cable out that side to work properly.. I am waiting for my friend to get my ski painted in the next week or so then I will get assembly pics.. he is dragging his feet and I am chomping at the bit! I am lucky and have access to tooling to make my modifications and a couple friends that are aluminum fabricators.. Only costs me mechanical work in trade for their skills...

The $120 for the pole is a decent price.. excellent if it comes with the chinpad and turnplate...

Last edited:
Cool. I saw the modifications you have to do to the pole and the stock bracket.

The pole is just a bare pole. So, and it was blue, id like to find a black one.

Not sure if and or when im going to do this, but it would be cool.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
120 for a bare stock pole is a bit high. I got mine for 100. i have seen some stok 08-09 poles for 75 plus shipping on here before and the 08-09 poles are 2 or 3"shorter than the 96-07 rn poles.. A chinpad is a hard to find item too.. If one is listed it is usually gone very quickly. the stock turn plate will work fine, you just have to redrill & thread the plate to moe the cable ball to the left side too. I found a tbm shortened plate and umi brg kit on ebay last week. I have the stock plate sitting now. I think it will be a good upgrade.. and I can always shorten it if I don't like it the length it is, unlike the stock kawi poles.

Guys,

Quality thread, inspired me to do the same mod!

Anyone got a pic of the routing through the top of the pole and what they did with the steerer bracket?

Been thinking what to do and seems there are a few options, one being grinding some of the raised bit on the left to allow full swing?

:veryhappy:

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I am using a SJ turnplate if that is what you are talking aobut.. with a stock plate you have to drill and tap the left side of the plate to move the cable ball to the correct side.. I'll take a pic of the mod to the upper of the pole I had to do tonight..

Awesome,

Looks like a real tidy job with that welded section.

Only problem is i've not got a welder to hand :-(

Anyone got around this without welding?

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
You have to cut that section out to get the cable to clear. Mine was very close to not being cut enough to clear correctly. You cut out so much of the bracket that you HAVE to weld in a new plate, or there will be a strength issue and it will break. My ski is all together now so I will get some pics of it all assembled when I get back out to the garage later. I also had to shave a groove in the chinpad frame on the cable side to get the cable to not bind and the pad to bolt on properly. So far it works good though..

I think I am glad I got the older RN pole too and not the 08-up pole that is factory shorter.. Just standing on it in the garage i feel like I am reaching, but being on it in the garage and actually riding it is a different stance for me so I think it will be perfect!

So i thought i would give it a go anyways without the cutting and welding seeing as i already had my rn pole. I made up a double bracket to move the steering cable through as far to the left of the original cutout as i could.

I then had to blend away a small amount of the built up section on the left to allow the steering cable to clear as it attached to the ball i switched the the left hand side of the steering plate. There is plenty of material there as its a cast corner.

Connected it up and it seems fine. It doesn't seem to put the steering cable through too much of a bend as it steers lock to lock so will run with it for the time being.

Cut -4 1/2 from the pole and made a temporary chin pad from some left over chopped strand and foam fatting and it works a treat. So much better getting my weight forward.

Will give it a couple of weeks, then may think of getting a better steering setup. Thats the big issue with not cutting and welding, i cant extend the turnplate to give me quick steer at the moment. Maybe il check around to see if i can get someone to weld it in the coming weeks??

:scratchchin:

Top Bottom