FML just in time for Surfslam

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
Surf riding in Oceanside today, I went to slash a building face which walled up very quickly sending my nose down and under hitting the ocean floor. It wasn't too bad I was still standing in my ski waiting to float up or have the nose angle up so I could hopefully ride out of it but the nose was stuck, Idk how but I was under a second or two longer than I should have. The ski was still Idling the whole time until it reached the surface when I felt a (Dunk) and the motor stopped.

I understand she took a gulp and swam my ski to shore to pull the plugs and try to get the water out. When I hit the start button the ski hardly turned as if my battery was dead. I instantly assumed my bad starter just called it quits and got towed back in.

So hours later with water in my motor still and installing a good used starter The same thing happens leading to take apart my top end revealing... THIS!!(attached photos)

My 3 month old hot rods crank and 1 yr 2008 OEM pistons. DONE
Surf Slam T minus 2 weeks and need a full motor overhaul plus practice

FML

:banghead::banghead::banghead::lightning:​

Attachments

• img073.jpg
    img073.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 180
  • img074.jpg
    img074.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 199
  • img075.jpg
    img075.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 145
  • img076.jpg
    img076.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 150
  • img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

tightithrash

Zack Bright. I Thrash.
Site Supporter
oh-noes.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dooooooooode this was not needed right now....................... WTF

Sucks so bad........what a :):):):):)in BUMMER.........

What is with these cranks man!!?? I mean we have all done that and it should not automatically equate to bent friggin rods which is what I seem to see lately.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
What is with these cranks man!!?? I mean we have all done that and it should not automatically equate to bent friggin rods which is what I seem to see lately.

I did it on an OEM Crank going from a fountain to climbing up and transiting into the tray, water sloshed and went down the carbs. Blamo.
It does not take much.

wydopen

onthepipe
if you turn your idle all the way down as soon as you let off the gas it dies..you wont have that problem..worst case is you swamp the motor but dont destroy a crank..

waterfreak

I had a vision!
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
that sucks! but I saw a nice big bore in the for sale for only $1200...maybe time to upgrade and get some more brap for the surf slam

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
if your nose is stuck in the sand and your ski is underwater your motor shouldnt be runnning..that sucks mark..i have a motor you can use if u dont get yours together

Yeah I had a low idle set because my stop button was bad and disconnected I guess it was just a 1/2 turn too high this time. but thanks andrew. I talked to Paul today he is helping me out big time by sending my some new 82mm pro x pistons tomorrow and I will be talking with my friend Aron Davis who does great crank work about what my best options are for tackling my crank issue. If all goes somewhat according to my plan I should be rebuilt and back in the water by monday. I will let you know otherwise.

that sucks! but I saw a nice big bore in the for sale for only $1200...maybe time to upgrade and get some more brap for the surf slam

Yeah, thank you I am charging some magical plastic credit for the new, or rebuilt Crankshaft I will have to kick down for alone and I believe my college credit limit is just about that much. I appreciate the heads up but my ported 701 is plenty enough for me.

Where theres a will theres a way everyone. I'll get this back together and make it to Oregon I can't stop, not with the support I have recieved and been recieving I'm not about to let anyone down because :):):):) hits the fan, when doesnt it for everyone so im picking things up and moving forward
Chargin it!
-Mark

Last edited:
My crappy hot rods cracked a center web doing the same :):):):). One bent rod and one cracked center web. Piss on hot rods. Hope its just a bent rod and a couple pistons.

SXRguyinMA

Life's a beach
I did that a few years ago, bent a rod so far it hit the crank webbing when trying to turn over. had my hotrods crank for 2 seasons now with NO issues

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I've heard some reports of Hotrods crank webs cracking.
It steered me away from using Hotrods.

ya blame it on the crank. you pay half the price of a new oem crank and complain when they fail when ya fill the motor with water. what did you think would happen?

Top Bottom