Free professional nutrition and training advice from ND

hobbs

ND
Hey all, I'm offering up my knowledge to anyone to wants to improve their health through training, nutrition and supplementation. I am a Naturopathic doctor as well as have 6 different national and international training and coaching certifications. I own a health food store in B.C where i live and ride. Anyone who wants to know the in's, outs, truths and whole lies about fitness and nutrition,feel free to pm or post a reply with a question.

Ride on

Its all about the surf!
Instead of answering the same questions fifty times in PM's why don't you just do a write up and post it here in this forum. A lot of us would appreciate it.

Boris

The Good Old Days
Are carrots really that good for the eyes ?
I know, they say that you never see rabbits with glasses but maybe they have a good lasik plan.

Just something I always wondered about.

hobbs

ND
yes carrots do have a role in eye health. Beta carotene which is a water soluable form of vitamin A is one property of the carrot. Beta Carotene act an a powerful antioxidant within the human body. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, which are highly reactive chemical substances that can damage internal cell structure and surrounding material. This can lead to premature aging, disease and cataracts. For helping with vision i would reccomend leutin eye esters which was found to be concentrated in the macula, a small area of the retina responsible for central vision and or bilberry capsules which like beta carotene can ward off and prevent cataracts, macular degeneration of the eye and also provides increased circulation. Beta Carotene in high amounts is toxic to infants and is transferrable through breast milk so women need to limit their intake around that time. For most of us the daily maximum allowance is 35,000 IU or international units but for a prego it's 10,000 IU's. 1 raw carrot 7 1/2 inches in length will provide about 8,666 IU's of beta carotene. Other sources are spinach and cantaloupe.

Hope that helps

hobbs

ND
Sure does.

Guess my love for carrots (I eat bags of them) isn't necessarily a good thing.
:lmao:

I wouldn't eat a bag a day but because Beta carotene is water soluble our bodies don't readily store it and it is generally excreted in the urine; hence, adverse effects occur only when extremely large amounts are taken.. True Vitamin A(retinol) is fat stored and can build up to toxic levels much more easily. Early symptoms of chronic toxicity are ranging, coarse hair; alopecia(loss of hair from random part of body) of the eyebrows; dry, rough skin; dry eyes; and cracked lips. Later, severe headache, pseudotumor cerebri(intercranial hypertension), and generalized weakness develop. If you really love carrots, like love love, lol keep your vitamin E intake down as it does greatly increase the bioavailabilty(makes it easier for our bodies to use) of vitamin A and thus would increase your risk of achieving toxic levels.

hobbs

ND
Instead of answering the same questions fifty times in PM's why don't you just do a write up and post it here in this forum. A lot of us would appreciate it.

That I can do. I'll post a Protein thread tonight as i'm sure it's one of the most misunderstood by all.

hobbs

ND
[QUOTE=RiverRat;941320]What effect do carbonated drinks have on the body (ex.: mountain dew, coke ect) and how does that relate to overall performance?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's not a surprise but soft drinks are definitely not good for you in any way. I'll mention the impact of the sugar in the next post as it'll get kinda long.

Animal studies demonstrate that phosphorus, a common ingredient in soda, can deplete bones of calcium. And two recent human studies suggest that girls who drink more soda are more prone to broken bones. The industry denies that soda plays a role in bone weakening. Animal studies mostly involving rats point to clear and consistent bone loss with the use of cola beverages. But as scientists like to point out, humans and rats are not exactly the same.

Even so, there's been concern among the research community, public health officials and government agencies over the high phosphorus content in the U.S. diet. Phosphorus which occurs naturally in some foods and is used as an additive in many others appears to weaken bones by promoting the loss of calcium. With less calcium available, the bones become more porous and prone to fracture.

The soft drink industry argues that the phosphoric acid in soda pop contributes only about 2 percent of the phosphorus in the typical U.S. diet, with a 12-ounce can of soda pop averaging about 30 milligrams.The National Academy of Sciences has set 3 grams (or 3,000 milligrams) per day as the tolerable upper limit of phosphorus for children ages 1 to 8 years, and 4 grams per day for those 9 years and older.

To reach that amount would require drinking at least 100 cans of soda pop per day. But there's growing concern that even a few cans of soda today can be damaging when they are consumed during the peak bone-building years of childhood and adolescence. A 1996 study published in the Journal of Nutrition by the FDA's Office of Special Nutritionals noted that a pattern of high phosphorus/low calcium consumption, common in the American diet, is not "conducive to optimizing peak bone mass in young women." basically saying " well it certainly doesn't help" lol

The scientific literature is scant on this topic, and the soft drink industry says the few studies that have been done are flawed. But the studies seem to consistently link soft drink use with the kind of bone weakening that can raise the risk of fractures. Most troubling is that the studies suggest the increased risk of fractures occurs as early as adolescence.

A '94 study of bone fractures in teenage athletes by Grace Wyshak, then a researcher at Harvard's Center for Population Studies, found a strong association between cola beverage consumption and bone fractures in 14-year-old girls. A follow-up study of 468 9th- and 10th-grade girls, also conducted by Wyshak concluded that girls who drank cola were about five times more likely to suffer bone fractures than girls who didn't consume soda pop. She also found that girls who drank only non-cola carbonated drinks were three times more likely to develop bone fractures than those who didn't consume soda pop.

Exactly how soft drinks may contribute to bone weakening is not yet known but all evidence points to it as a contributing factor.

hobbs

ND
Sugar

I am always fascinated on the effect of sugar in general and its effects on insulin and your immune system.

PS, is Agave as bad as they say it is?
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a.../Agave-A-Triumph-of-Marketing-over-Truth.aspx

I can sum sugar up pretty easily. Don't eat it in any from. This means even fructose(fruit sugar) is bad for your health. Simple Carbs as well in any form should also be avoided as they convert to sugar too quickly, This causes a heavy insulin secretion to then lower the circulating sugar levels. Carbs = sugar, complex carbs do as well but have a much slower conversion which allows the body to produce less insulin.

When we eat sugar a more that a couple bad things happen: #1-bad thing-sugar is treated by our bodies no differently than say a cold or and allergic reaction. Due to variables such as an instant yeast imbalance our bodies fight sugar every time we eat it. So to our immune system it's like fighting a cold 365 days a year-very taxing..

#2-bad thing-if someone regularly takes in too much sugar, the body constantly has to produce insulin to keep the bodies sugar levels regulated. What can eventually happen is type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a disease in which your pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or your body does not properly use the insulin it makes. Both a detrimental to health.

When you eat sugar, it actually causes negative changes to your genes that last for two full weeks! So indulge in a couple of sodas or splurge on a hot fudge sundae and not only do your genes turn off controls designed to protect you from heart disease and diabetes, but the impact lasts for 14 days!

Even more concerning, if you eat too much sugar for a long time, your DNA may become permanently altered, and the effects could be passed on to your children and grandchildren.
For most Americans, sugar is not only a regular part of their diet, but often the source of the most calories! On average, adults are eating over 22 teaspoons of sugar a day … which is way over the American Heart Association’s recommended limit of 6.5 teaspoons a day for women and 9.5 for men.

The only sweeteners deemed healthy are stevia and (sucanat in small amounts) that's it. I've read recently about palm sugar but it will most likely be put back into the bad column with everything else tasty. If you really love sugar, be prepared to give up quality of life for it. As it is nearly impossible to cut all sugar out in all forms, it's best to exercise common sense and limit the intake as much as possible. The on;y time we should spike our blood sugar is after a heavy session in the gym to restore blood sugar and aid in muscle recovery through insulin secretions.

Now agave( mercola is a great site btw) is just another fructose fruit sugar. Don't believe the hype, aside from a little mineral content it has nothing to offer us. How many people still think drinking milk is good for you? Now tell me marketing doesn't work....

I couldn't talk about sugar without touching on artificial sweeteners. I'll post an article soon but bottom line. None are ok, in-fact in nutritional sciences we believe they are even worse than sugar as a negative influence on long term health. No diet pop(aspartame), no spenda, no sweet'n'low, nadda!

Even most protien powders are loaded in aceflame potassium( also methyl compound) potassium 6-methyl-2,2-dioxo-oxathiazin-4-olate. Companies like gaspari without integrity call it ace-k on the label.

I don't think i had to mention that sugar also causes weight gain and heart disease.

Last edited:

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
I've read some interesting thinks about cinnamon lately. How it effect insulin sensitivity or something. Can you give me a plain English explanation on how it works and would it be good to take .5 - 1 tsp a day of ground cinnamon?

Thanks for all of this.

J

hobbs

ND
I've read some interesting thinks about cinnamon lately. How it effect insulin sensitivity or something. Can you give me a plain English explanation on how it works and would it be good to take .5 - 1 tsp a day of ground cinnamon?

Thanks for all of this.

J

Cinnamon lowers blood sugar http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5209144_cinnamon-reduce-blood-sugar_.html#in several different ways. One effect cinnamon has on the body is that it lowers the rate at which the stomach can empty itself after digesting a meal. When stomach emptying slows, it slows the rise of blood sugar. Scientists have also found that the water-soluble extracts of cinnamon have the ability to enhance the efficiency of insulin in the body. This effect seems to be the result of cinnamon's ability to improve the signaling pathway of insulin found in muscle cells. ((makes insulin more effective at reducing blood sugar). I will note without going into detail why, but keep consumption to the 1/2 or 1 gram per day unless otherwise directed by me your your local natural health practitioner. This does not include your local supplement shop employees. Although some can be quite knowledgeable, most only have surface knowledge.

If you only were to try and do one thing for your health and that thing was insulin(sugar controlling hormone) awareness, you would live a much longer more fulfilling life.
I guarantee it!

jjchambers

got me my braaapp!!
Please explain how controlling insulin effects muscle growth and fat loss. Would I take small amount of it spread throughout the day or 1 single dose in the morning? I take dextrose and whey protein after I lift, should I take cinnamon with this or would this counter act the insulin spike I want post workout??

thanks,

J

Lucaumpits

RIDE LIKE U'VE STOLE IT!!
red bull

my wife is all over me because she thinks i drink too many RED BULL, do you have any word one that, is it real bad for you?

thanks Lucas

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
my wife is all over me because she thinks i drink too many RED BULL, do you have any word one that, is it real bad for you?

thanks Lucas

Decide for yourself.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSSYD5846120080815?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews

Red Bull drink lifts stroke risk: Australian study
Rob Taylor
CANBERRA
Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:26pm EDTCANBERRA (Reuters) - Just one can of the popular stimulant energy drink Red Bull can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke, even in young people, Australian medical researchers said on Friday.

Health | Lifestyle

The caffeine-loaded beverage, popular with university students and adrenaline sport fans to give them "wings", caused the blood to become sticky, a pre-cursor to cardiovascular problems such as stroke.

"One hour after they drank Red Bull, (their blood systems) were no longer normal. They were abnormal like we would expect in a patient with cardiovascular disease," Scott Willoughby, lead researcher from the Cardiovascular Research Centre at the Royal Adelaide Hospital, told the Australian newspaper.

Red Bull Australia spokeswoman Linda Rychter said the report would be assessed by the company's head office in Austria.

"The study does not show effects which would go beyond that of drinking a cup of coffee. Therefore, the reported results were to be expected and lie within the normal physiological range," Rychter told Reuters.

Willoughby and his team tested the cardiovascular systems of 30 young adults one hour before and one hour after consuming one 250ml can of sugar-free Red Bull.

The results showed "normal people develop symptoms normally associated with cardiovascular disease" after consuming the drink, created in the 1980s by Austrian entrepreneur Dietrich Mateschitz based on a similar Thai energy drink.

Red Bull is banned in Norway, Uruguay and Denmark because of health risks listed on its cans, but the company last year sold 3.5 billion cans in 143 countries. One can contains 80 mg of caffeine, around the same as a normal cup of brewed coffee.

The Austria-based company, whose marketing says "Red Bull gives you wings", sponsors Formula 1 race cars and extreme sport events around the world, but warns consumers not to drink more than two cans a day.

Rychter said Red Bull could only have such global sales because health authorities across the world had concluded the drink was safe to consume.

But Willoughby said Red Bull could be deadly when combined with stress or high blood pressure, impairing proper blood vessel function and possibly lifting the risk of blood clotting.

"If you have any predisposition to cardiovascular disease, I'd think twice about drinking it," he said.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I've seen alot of this seachs againt red bull all this bulllony,

I wanna know if anyone really died because of it? or you just increase the chance?:dunno:

It falls in the same category as beer and cigarettes.

Top Bottom