From California then GTFIH

Hey guys im new here, but not new to the sport. Been riding since i got my first ski 550 in 93. Due to work and financial problems a few years ago i sold all my skis and havent followed the sport for a while, anyways.

I recently had a financial up-turn and I'm looking to get back into it. Ive done some research and decided to go with a SJ RN. I've been looking around for about a month or so but i havent come across much in the way of used RNs.

So i called a couple dealerships about new skis and besides being over priced, they told me there are new laws in CA and superjets will be hard to find, so buy ours blah blah blah...

Now i remember hearing something about new laws but I dont trust the dealerships filling me in on them since i got conflicting info from the few i called.

I tried running a search but didnt come up with anything specific, just that we here in CA wont be able to get 09's. My questions are: Can you still buy used skis? How about pre-09 skis from out of state? Does the law affect custom builds? How much of a pain in the @$$ will it be for me starting from scratch? And are there any other laws coming down the pipe that will further screw the sport? Also the name of the new law and maybe a link to it if its handy.

Thanks guys

Cliffs
-sold all my skis
-want to buy a RN
-new CA laws???
-WTF?

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
you cant get 2 stroke in CA or NY anymore. stupid EPA laws

you should be able to buy out of state and register in CA though.

other than that you can get a used ski and you wont have a problem registering.

just remember the RN superjet is the same from 96-07 other than paint.

08-09 have a few changes(set back pump, stainless big hub prop, -2 pole, front sponsons and maybe something else i forgot)

do your research on what ski would suit you better. but for the price you could find a 3 or 4 thousand dollar 96-07 roundnose with all the goodies already. obviously the 08-09 will be pricier

oh and welcome to the boards.
heres a good example of a clean ski http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/49280

Last edited:
just remember the RN superjet is the same from 96-07 other than paint.

08-09 have a few changes(set back pump, stainless big hub prop, -2 pole, front sponsons and maybe something else i forgot)

do your research on what ski would suit you better. but for the price you could find a 3 or 4 thousand dollar 96-07 roundnose with all the goodies already. obviously the 08-09 will be pricier

...what he said.

Also... if you are looking to mod the ski, then start with an older RN that has some parts on it. If you get the 08-09 then you will have to sink money in it to replace the handle pole and steering cable back to the 07 and older ones to correct the turning issue, then you will want to start on the motor, blah blah blah. All depends on the riding you will be doing.

If you aren't in a hurry, search for a used ski. There are more and more each day that are popping up for sale. I saved myself about 2 grand so far by buying a SN and swapping the motor, elec., etc. into a RN hull that i got from a guy here on the X. If your handy with a wrench you save tons!

Also... send a few minutes a day searching through some of the threads here. SOOOOOOOO much helpful info!!!!!!! This site is a life saver!

one last thing... where in Nor Cal are you? I used to live up there and i plan on heading up in the summer to do some river riding out there at Miller park.

talked to a guy at Eastbay Motorsports and he said the ones they have are considered used, but they are in the crates and have never been in the water. thats how they can sell them. They also do all the registration for you.
Not really sure how they are getting around the new law like that... Something don't sound right.

Im from Coco county, and yeah eastbay motors is one of the dealers i talked to they are sellin a 06 for around 7k and like stunts said they sell em used but they have zero hrs on em. And thats what got me confused about the law? Im still unclear as to what the new law is exactly.

And yeah Infamy send them specs I want to buy a used ski but havent seen any around that are worth even takin a look at.

Top Bottom