fuel filter question

cycojon

addicted to my superjet
are the OEM fuel filters on a SJ any good? i have gone through quiet a few other types of filters and it seems they don't last to long...

right now i have large paper type filters on my SJ and they only have about 6 rides on them and i belive they are getting pretty cloged. i can ride for a while and kill the motor and pop the hood and there is still air in them. perhaps this is one reason my ski is running like crap-

also, when the ski sits for a while and i go to ride again i can hit the primer and start it just fine but it seems like it runs on one cyl for about 30 sec before it come to life. i have poped the hood when this happens to find fuel in only one filter.

so, dirty filters right?

should i go OEM? if not, what else works good that i can get easily? im headed to the river on friday.

thanks

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
oem, or the small clear ones with a plastic screen inside or aluminum ones with a sintered bronze element.

Paper ones supposedly don't hold up well where you can get water in the fuel or with premix. At least that's 2 of the stories I've heard.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Also pull your tank and clean it,its sound like you have way too much crap floating around in there for any filter to do its job properly.

Also pull your tank and clean it,its sound like you have way too much crap floating around in there for any filter to do its job properly.

+1 if you don't have crap in your tank you won't clog a filter.

Couple years ago Wammer told me the stock were the best. I kinda like the clear ones just so you can see when they get dirty.

I always have air in my filter, I don't think that is anything to worry about and shouldn't cause your ski to run like crap.

WFO Speedracer

I do believe the stock filters are the best,I seldom find anything in the internal filters on a Yamaha when rebuilding the carbs.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
the little conical filters wouldnt last a couple of rides for me :thumbsdown:

oem or similar large, clear paper filters work fine!

air in the fuel filter is normal unless the supply side is full of fuel and the outlet side has barely any. if that happens, time to change the fuel filter

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
i like the cone shaped ones, small and cheap.

however the OEM type also act as a water separator if its installed right side up, but they are bulky.

WFO Speedracer

Basically the small conical filters do nothing,this is fact which has been proven by seeing the amount of debris that gets past them when I do carb rebuilds,the amount that will pass though one of the small conical filters is incredible,the amount that will pass though a stock filter is negligible.

cycojon

addicted to my superjet
thanks everyone, i just had my whole ski tore down for re enforcing and tubbies and re foam. at this time i had the tank out and cleaned it up on the inside. i have about 3 rides on it since then...

so ill get some OEM filters and pull the filter out of the fuel pump and clean them at the same time!

Top Bottom