Fundamental differences between entry level (or any for that matter) A/M hulls.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
I heard a local story about one of our riders who got a BOB Hull last year(Spring/Summer 2013) from Ski Clinic. He put it all together and went out riding for the first time...Came back in and found the bond line was leaking!

He had plenty of back and forth with them, but in the end he lost money and they took the hull back.

Makes you wonder though, do they float/water test the hulls? I'm guessing not.

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
True but we have seen progression out of most builders over time . I personally can't think of one that started out and didn't alter on there product .the flop success statement I think is a bit subjective

Well we are all squids at some point too rubbertoe. I dont know a lot of guys who get a new hull and go out and land their first backflip ever on the first try. If a hull cant take the abuse its not always on the builder but since they build it and they determine the layup and strength of materials used, I would hope not to be told well this hull is only to be used by those who can land a flip perfectly or go plate to plate. We all get better as we learn usually so if the hull cant take some abuse I want to know even if it ki nda derails the thread some. Im in the lower class low budget hull market too so its all relevant info to me.

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
I m not trying to fuel a drama thread, and the squid comment applies to all when we fail a trick attempt .we all are learning , as I do it regularly . Don't take it as a personal attack . this is why I don't post much here anymore as threads go south quick,and turn to bottomless vortex of misunderstanding and personal views with no useful content . I read way more negative posts than useful ones lately ,seems that the days of helpful tech threads have been replaced by the new generation of Facebook drama conversations . I have no dog in this fight and was trying to shed light on a subject long de-railed, not of a brand or any of its issues .But it sounds like you have things all figured out .
Well we are all squids at some point too rubbertoe. I dont know a lot of guys who get a new hull and go out and land their first backflip ever on the first try. If a hull cant take the abuse its not always on the builder but since they build it and they determine the layup those who can land a flip perfectly or go plate to plate. We all get better as we learn usually so if the hull cant take some abuse I want to know even if it ki nda derails the thread some. Im am in lower class, low budget hull market so its all relevant info to me..

Last edited:

swapmeet

Brotastic
I guess the brand vs brand BS on this thread is to be expected. But from what I can tell, that wasn't the OP's question.

OP, one thing to investigate is the design of the bottom deck. What is it based on (SJ, SXR, 300sx, completely custom).

Also, the pump intake placement and size plays a huge roll in how the ski rides. Is it set back. Has it been enlarged.

And thus... Is the pump set back, will it fit larger pump sizes.

How low or wide is the bond line? This effects stability.

Honestly, as I've recently been schooled..... The bottom deck is everything. The top deck is just icing, decoration if you will.

And yes, come up to DFW and ride some skis...

Hope this helped.

I guess the brand vs brand BS on this thread is to be expected. But from what I can tell, that wasn't the OP's question.

OP, one thing to investigate is the design of the bottom deck. What is it based on (SJ, SXR, 300sx, completely custom).

Also, the pump intake placement and size plays a huge roll in how the ski rides. Is it set back. Has it been enlarged.

Honestly, as I've recently been schooled..... The bottom deck is everything. The top deck is just icing, decoration if you will.

Hope this helped.
Top deck is extremely relevant. Adds to overall strength, ability to avoid intake of water and aid intake of air, sets rider location in relation to the pump/pump tunnel, determines balance point by location of the pilot and torque applied through hand pole location. What school did you attend? All this is relevant to the OP's question.

swapmeet

Brotastic
The school where it was explained that it's perfectly fine to copy/splash/ etc another top deck and change it a little and produce a 'new' product. Another thread. My opinion was beyond the minority. So.... If you can't beat'em....

Not saying top deck is irrelevant, but, from mfg to mfg... As of today... (I.e. Don't being up old BOB poop from 4 years ago) Most all of the entry level hulls have good strong top decks from what I've seen and read.

Maybe you talked to the wrong dude. Did you speak to the "pot" or the "kettle" ? And some of the Bob poop isn't 4 years old. Op, definately look into the track record of builders reliability as well as rideability for the type of riding you plan/want to do. What do you want to achieve with this next purchase. You might want to up your budget or you may find exactly what you are looking for in your price range if you are patient. Make some calls to the builders and ask them what their hull is based on and roughly what changes have been made and why. When it comes to these types of threads they always end the same. Good luck and have fun.

i agree with swap. bottom is more important, but neither matter with a 1200/1400 package. you can flip and roll a brick with a 1200+. AM hulls are a waste of money if you are just going to strip a superjet to build one. if you cant nose stab/roll a SJ, forget about an AM HULL!

Top deck is extremely relevant. Adds to overall strength, ability to avoid intake of water and aid intake of air, sets rider location in relation to the pump/pump tunnel, determines balance point by location of the pilot and torque applied through hand pole location. What school did you attend? All this is relevant to the OP's question.

Agreed. It cannot be emphasized enough how important weight distribution is along the length of the hull. On top of that the top deck is what is taking the force of those backflops...

i agree with swap. bottom is more important, but neither matter with a 1200/1400 package. you can flip and roll a brick with a 1200+. AM hulls are a waste of money if you are just going to strip a superjet to build one. if you cant nose stab/roll a SJ, forget about an AM HULL!
really? so an aftermarket hull isnt easier to flip/roll than a superjet?

Hope this helped.

I might have to come do that. I was interested in a SJ that's been posted up there, with the JM in it. Wouldn't happen to know the ski would you?

djraider700

lol wut?
Not everyone cares to flip or roll. A/M hulls can be very beneficial depending on your style of riding, especially in the surf. Rocker, length, weight, strength, adjustability are all important features compared to a SJ.

Weight and length are two of the biggest things in making am hulls eazier to flip and roll are they not?my square hull weighs a ton im surprised I can even get it out of the water.

Not everyone cares to flip or roll. A/M hulls can be very beneficial depending on your style of riding, especially in the surf. Rocker, length, weight, strength, adjustability are all important features compared to a SJ.

if i rode nothing but surf, i wouldnt even think about wasting money on an AM hull unless i wanted to flip n roll. and if it was knee high surf, it would need big power under the hood. the only guys that tell you they dont want to flip n roll are scared or cant! i know old pro racers that want to flip n roll.

Top Bottom