Gaskets for Rebuild 61x/6m6

This may be a dumb question but...

I am in the process (limited $ build right now) on getting my hands on some 61x cases and intake/reeds and using my existing 650 top end. Will do a little home port job. Later, when I have a few extra dollars I can move up to the 701 top end with ease.

Since I am not using the 6m6 cases I don't think ordering a gasket kit for the 6m6 would be the thing to do, right? The intake gaskets for the 61x would be different right? What about the case gaskets and base gaskets for the cylinders, would I use 61x or 6m6 or does it matter?

Also, do most of you use any kind of gasket maker stuff along with the gaskets for you carb base gaskets? I had put my carb on one time using just the gaskets and had a wicked backfire that blew up my water box. Got a used water box, put the carb on with some sealer and gaskets and never had a problem. Figures I had an air leak.

Is there a place that most of you use for ordering your oem gaskets? I have used parkeryamaha.com, but I am sure there are others that might have better prices maybe?

Thanks for the help.

Mouthfulloflake

ISJWTA member #2
base gasket and head gasket, and intake gaskets are different 6m6 vs 61x YES

no sealant, they go on dry, and then the next time I remove them and reuse them ( im cheap) I use permatex copper spray...

ANT

Just ride
the base gasket is the same from 650-701-760. 61X intake gaskets are different from 6m6. base of the carb gaskets are the same, you can use any 44mm mikuni gasket, you'll need 2, one for above the cable bracket and one below. There's not a gasket for the cases, if you're going to use permatex, use grey. Personally the stuff to use on the cases which is equivalent to what they come from the factory with is Loctite 512, it's a flange sealant. Put all the paper gasket on dry and make sure you have ALL the old gasket scraped off and the surface clean. Make sure the dowel pins in the cases are lined up with the holes in the bearings on the crank.

Sweet. Thanks for the helpful info.

Do you guys know anyone on the boards that sells OEM gaskets? I would rather spend $ with someone here. This is an awesome site!

Top Bottom