getting blaster ? what do i need to know

im picking up a nice blaster tomorrow and what should i look for in the ski,
never had one never messed with one, i know about skis have has plenty of seadoos and kawi's but never a yamaha yet,

what are things i need to look for and
when i get it what do i need to do manintenace wise to make sure its reliable and wont blow up

the ski looks clean in the picks he sent me and he said its got a fresh motor with 5 hours on it, ?

and what are some good bolt on mods and performance stuff i can do and keep it reliable, getting it to get into some surf riding

im a blaster newb so help me out please

Last edited:

SoCal_WaveBlaster

back from the dead
check the base of the hull...alot of people beach them and it wears thru...you shouldnt see any light coming thru it. its not a reason to pass on a good ski though, all fiberglass is repaireable.

wayne

wannaroll
check compression should be about 150ish. do an oil block off and go to premix. a pipe is a good bolt on that is reliable. you will need to rejet when putting on a pipe.

have fun.

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
A lot of blasters get it pretty hard. Make sure to look for structural fiberglass damage as well. The rear transom area breaks up first normally. The hood and hull in the area around the hood can also get funked. Look in this area on the inside and out.

SoCal_WaveBlaster

back from the dead
so whats the differnce , besides the engine and jet size for a waveblaster 1 and 2,
i have access to a 2 for sale, is it going to be as sporty as a blaster 1?

nope, the wb2 is bigger and less manuverable...nothing like the wb1

i do want the 760 our of one though for my surf ski

soo yeah i picked it up this weekend , looks pretty dam good, has some scratches here and there, its all stock has 155 in both cylinders, it runs great, iv been riding it all weekend, its fun as hell, it just takes some getting used to trying to get back on it when ya fall off lol

what are some good maintenace stuff do to to keep it reliable,

do i need to premix it or keep the oil pump on it, or just put a new pump on it so it is always mixed right ???

SoCal_WaveBlaster

back from the dead
soo yeah i picked it up this weekend , looks pretty dam good, has some scratches here and there, its all stock has 155 in both cylinders, it runs great, iv been riding it all weekend, its fun as hell, it just takes some getting used to trying to get back on it when ya fall off lol

what are some good maintenace stuff do to to keep it reliable,

do i need to premix it or keep the oil pump on it, or just put a new pump on it so it is always mixed right ???

delete the oil pump stat...premix is the way to go, that way you know you are always getting the correct mixture
im assuming you ride in salt water...make sure you always flush it good, and spray it off good, alot of people swear by salt-away. once you have it all flushed and rinsed off give the motor/engine bay a good spray down with wd-40

Last edited:
cool what do you premix these at 50:1, and it will rarely se salt water from now on, mostly lake ridding, it came from salt water and its in pretty dam good shape somobody took the time to actually wash it off good afterwards ill get some picks today

the only yamaha oil injection setup i'd be truly leary of was on the old gp12's....i wouldn't worry about it on anything else. the first blaster i had i blocked off and used 40-50 to 1 (no ratio right, just estimating), and it was a pain....but then again i was only riding in chopped out surf where it would have time to quickly load up, and not much chance to clear it out. since then, i've only used the oil injection setups, and it's much less stressful :) but then again, it's all opinion - plus, technically premix is the only way to know for sure that the oil is there all the time...

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
the only yamaha oil injection setup i'd be truly leary of was on the old gp12's....i wouldn't worry about it on anything else. the first blaster i had i blocked off and used 40-50 to 1 (no ratio right, just estimating), and it was a pain....but then again i was only riding in chopped out surf where it would have time to quickly load up, and not much chance to clear it out. since then, i've only used the oil injection setups, and it's much less stressful :) but then again, it's all opinion - plus, technically premix is the only way to know for sure that the oil is there all the time...

you scare me.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Welcome to the joy of owning a blaster! You'll want to check your wear ring impeller clearance sometime. The yamahas have a tendancy to get corrosion between the aluminum and stainless and will swell until they are touching the impeller.

I would recommend getting rid of the oil injection simply to make more room in the engine compartment and keep it cleaner. As well as the peace of mind (although I've never had one fail either).

As far as bolt-on goodies - get a pipe. Biggest bang for the buck you can put on there. Other goodies include high compression head, new impeller, intake grate, extended ride-plate, UMI or Accusteer steering, the list goes on and on.

I would also recommend a bilge pump sooner than later if you plan to ride it a lot.

Have fun!

so if i get a new oil pump just to be safe, id be good to go on keeping it, since its easier to use that than premix cause its a pita,

also i was gonna take off the head and have it decked to raise the comression,

also i might be able to get a factory pipe, what jets do i need to use and where can i get some, it seems to be hard to find parts for the blasters,

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Factory MOD pipe instructions (listing jet sizes):
http://www.factorypipe.com/media/instructions/yamaha/701BL02.pdf

Parts aren't too hard to find. A lot of them are shared with the superjets so they're really quite available. Ask around on here in the stuff for sale section. There are also a few online yamaha parts dealers.

Be careful decking the head. There's something wierd about squish clearance with the yamaha heads. I'm not certain about the details but there are a few threads about it on here if you do a search.

SoCal_WaveBlaster

back from the dead
it may be a pain in the ass to premix, but once you get into the routine its as easy as just filling your gas can. and if you decide to keep the oil injection please do not come on hear after your oil pump fails cause we did tell you to delete it. :)

these guys that are saying parts are easy to find are kinda leading you on, some parts are easy to find, but when you start looking for a part everyone want you will be bidding against all of these guys in this thread. you can find the parts, but chances are someone else is looking for it too, and turns into a bidding war, or you will find that when you find a for sale thread on here the part will be bought by the time you see the thread :)

i had a guy shave off 25 thousandths off. a considerable difference, and still got TONS of hours out if it.....

cool that is about what i was thinking, i had them shave 60 off my 440 kawi and it only bumped it 15 psi ish.

but i might try decking it a little, see what happens just need it till i can afford a good head

Top Bottom