650/X-2 getting bored with my650sx...

After riding my 650 for two years, I'm at the end of its limits. So I've been thinking about putting a bigger Carb on it, a pipe, and some porting, as well as footholds. Do you guys think its worth it? Or should i just sell it and buy a squarenose?. My ultimate goal is to barrel roll....

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
I hate to be jumping on the bandwagon, but you should sell it. Start w/ the Square and go from there!

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
I had my 650sx for about 8 months then bought a square and I now have two squares I do it sell my kawi alday for a square or round nose

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

D-Roc

I forgot!
IMO. Today the only thing that a 300 440 550 650 is good for is to pick one up dirt cheap. You gotta hope it runs good and the only money you should put into it, is to keep it running. If you can keep one of those old skis running you will be able to keep any ski running down the road.
So to recap, Get them cheap. Learn what is involved in jetsking. Get your trailer and ride gear,numbers and boating license, and if you get hooked, buy a superjet.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Sell it and buy a SJ. I'm not on the bandwagon, but if you want to roll, that's the best cheapest way to do it.

Sell it and buy a SJ. I'm not on the bandwagon, but if you want to roll, that's the best cheapest way to do it.

The thing is, I have two friends who ride squares, both have props, bars and some handling mods. Both are 650s, and I'm not that impressed. I'd have to go 701. I mean there's nothing that I can do on their sj's that I can't do on my 650sx. Besides I'd be the first one that I know of to roll a 650sx ha. I've already made it half way around, it hurts, but I figure with mods and a huge wave it could be possible.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Hey, if you want to go for it on a 650sx, then go for it. Don't let me be the voice that stops you. I think you can roll a 650sx. Pipe, carb, bump the compression, so port work, a prop, all of the things you'd do to a 701 you can do to a 650sx, and the parts are probably cheaper. Also, the SJ doesn't have a weight advantage over the 650sx like it does other kawi hulls.

The problem with 650sx is that it has price advantage over performance advantage. The 650sx is cheaper, and has lots of older parts available for cheaper. The motor is a better platform for bottom end than other motors. The problem is that "better" is a relitive term. The 650sx may make a higher percentage of low end power compared to it's whole range of power, but it doesn't make more bottom power than the 750/800 motors, just a lot less power. The 650 makes more power per CC, but still makes less power than the larger motors. Am I making sense?

The Yamaha motor is just a better platform. You are going to get more out of a worked 701 than you are a worked 650. yeah, the pipe for the kawi 650 is going to be a lot cheaper than the pipe for the yamaha 701, but the motor work is going to be the same price, and the cheaper 650 part is probably going to be older and more busted than the SJ parts.

My 2004 SJ is all stock, and out performs my old 650sx (44mm carb, prop, ride plate, intake grate). The power is similar, but the handling is vastly superior. The 650sx could outperform it with a pipe and a milled head, and all for less money. However, if I put another $2000 in my SJ, it will be far superior to any 650sx you are going to want to ride. All said and done, my SJ may be $5000 and your 650sx may be $3000, but my SJ will vastly outperform your 650sx, have a much higher resale value, will be easier to part the AM parts (putting it back to stock would be the highest resale) and every day at the lake, you'd be asking me to ride my SJ. And I have a 2004 SJ, go with a 1995 701 motor, and you might have only $1000 more invested in it than a 650sx, but will be almost as nice as my RN.

Last edited:
Thanks Vumad I get what your saying. If I upgrade to a superjet, it would have to be the 701. I'd never be satisfied with a 650. That being said, cheapest 701 I have seen in my area is a 95 701 square for $2500. Assuming I could get a grand for my 650sx, I'd have to come up with around $1500. Now I think If i dumped about 500 into my sx I would be satisfied with it, at least for a little while (I already have a prop and all the handling mods, but motor is stock). Maybe what I'm asking here, is do you think I could get enough snap out of a 650sx to roll it? I ride some rivers around here with some decent sized boat wakes. I've ridden Superjets a fair amount, and i do like them. But motor aside, does the sj hull alone have a better advantage as far as completing a BR?

550/440

They are very similar in weight - 291 for 95' SN, 282 for a 93' 650sx, 52 hp in a stock 650 vs. 63 hp in a SN 701. The big advantage to the SJ is the hull though, the pole being further forward (allowing for better control / leverage), the design of the bottom, and the pump diameter all being positive benefits.
If you are on a budget, stick with the 650 and have fun. I'd suggest dropping a 750 engine in it before you go to the trouble of porting a 650 though, you'll be much happier for about the same $$ or a little more.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You need to be looking at the parts list. Most of the SN SJ we have around here are $2000-3000, however, they already have pipes amoung many other parts. They can be had for $1-1.5K, but they are usually a bit more, again, with parts.

Also consider the year. My 2004 SJ cost $2800 and my 650sx cost $800, but my 650sx was always broken, and my SJ is never broken. (Now that I said that, it's going to break...). A lot has changed. Not only has performance increased, but reliability has too.

The 650sx is a fun ski. I enjoyed mine until it broke not worth fixing. If your's is in good repair, pipe, prop, milled head, fun boat. If you have less than 38mm carb, replace that 1st.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
You could get a very nice boost from a carb and prop for about $200. Like someone else said, if you go with the keihen, you might not need a manifold. I'd get a manifold to match however. I have a mikuni manifold to sell, but no carb.

I had a 650sx for a while. They are a boat of a hull. I rode one with a factory bpipe before, full factory, 44 carb, head, new motor. It still couldnt pull me out of my stabs, it would fall over nose high on the come out. Pinned.

Yamaha made a better ski all around. Everything is easier to access, they resist salt better, there is a much larger aftermarket, they have a WAY better pump, and they respond much better to power upgrades.

I say get a superjet also. You will not be dissapointed. The hull lends itself way more to freestyle.

Thanks Vumad I get what your saying. If I upgrade to a superjet, it would have to be the 701. I'd never be satisfied with a 650. That being said, cheapest 701 I have seen in my area is a 95 701 square for $2500. Assuming I could get a grand for my 650sx, I'd have to come up with around $1500. Now I think If i dumped about 500 into my sx I would be satisfied with it, at least for a little while (I already have a prop and all the handling mods, but motor is stock). Maybe what I'm asking here, is do you think I could get enough snap out of a 650sx to roll it? I ride some rivers around here with some decent sized boat wakes. I've ridden Superjets a fair amount, and i do like them. But motor aside, does the sj hull alone have a better advantage as far as completing a BR?

Since you are value conscious, the SJ is a better deal. A dirt cheap 650SX hull will leave more money for making thrust but but would be worth very little, even if it could do flatwater backflips.

you need some parts, i have them , if everyone else thinks this is a good deal

i have team butch pipe, sbn44 with intake manifold and filter adapter with 2 k&n's different sizes...
they are "busted" looking but still perform, would sell everything for $275 shipped. Don't think you can match the price/performance you'd be getting....carb is jetted 145 hi 110 low not sure of pop off. The only thing im not sure of is the throttle is set up for a stock x2 i believe not sure if you'd have to change bracket or not?..

anyway let me know if you're interested.

550/440

^^^ That's not a bad deal right there! ^^^

Top Bottom