Super Jet Getting coupler off driveshaft?

Hey guys, Just in the process of putting on cold fusion couplers, got the engine side sorted just not sure on how to get the driveshaft side off,
how do i hold the shaft to spin the coupler off?

Thanks in advance
MASSEY

scotts2t

Head Woop!
Vice, pipe wrench, long pipe to put in between coupler teeth. I put the shaft in the vice wrapped in a cloth so the where the bearings sit on the midshaft dont get wrecked. Pipe wrench right behind the coupler. Sometimes it takes two people.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
you do not need to take the drive shaft out, but you do need to slide your engine forward enough to unbolt your midshaft. the coupler is on the midshaft, and its is bolted on the firewall. the midshaft is splined and it slides off the drive shaft. once you have it out refer to post #2.

Last edited:

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
I have a driveshaft that has been cut about 8" long. I welded two pieces of angle to it so to hold it in the vice. Slip the midshaft over the driveshaft that is held in the vice. Bamn!! off comes the coupler with NO damage to it. Easy as pie.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Midshaft tool like quickmick descibed is the best and easiest. I sell them for 25.

If not, you need the hold midshaft with a wrench and carefully heat the back of the aluminum coupler and it will release.
Be careful not to heat the shaft at all or you will cook the midshaft grease seals, etc.

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
Midshaft tool like quickmick descibed is the best and easiest. I sell them for 25.

If not, you need the hold midshaft with a wrench and carefully heat the back of the aluminum coupler and it will release.
Be careful not to heat the shaft at all or you will cook the midshaft grease seals, etc.

i didnt know you sold those, note taken.

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
Heat and, although I got ridiculed, candle wax or bees wax on the threads when it's hot. Heat will pull the wax into the threads and ease the removal. An old mechanics frozen bolt trick.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Heat and, although I got ridiculed, candle wax or bees wax on the threads when it's hot. Heat will pull the wax into the threads and ease the removal. An old mechanics frozen bolt trick.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Never tried wax, but i know our machinist uses some kind of special wax.

Top Bottom