300/440/550 Getting head milled need advice

Getting my 550 head milled race shop by me is giving me a great price $25. Only problem he asked how much I want taken off but I haven't found anything on here. How much should I have him remove. Don't want to run race gas but premium is fine. Thanks

You should see what the squish measurement is currently before considering this. You could also find a thinner gasket to increase compression without the mill work, and it's reversible if you don't like it. You can measure squish by inserting a piece of solder which is .01 over the stock (expected squish) into the spark plug hole, and letting the piston smack it a few times ... then measure the actual thickness. Good description is here:

http://www.swedetechracing.com/news...p/how-to-check-squish-on-a-two-stroke-engine/

Last edited:

spookyjjj

Back @ it
I used a oem gasket and got my head milled and my comp was 170 and it costs 70.00. My machinest never asked me how much I wanted off but do you wanna run pump gas or race gas lol

if youre running premium pump gas, 93 octane, yes itll work for 180psi. after that, if you dont want to run straight up race fuel, you can use octane booster. a little bit cheaper. if youve got a stock head, for a 550, id take 2 mm off it, your squish will be gone, but thats the only way ur gonna get some real performane out of those huge stock domes.

Top Bottom