Gonna do a Tigercraft v3 701 build but im new

Im trying my best to do a search and cant seem to really find a HOW too thread and im sure its because where everyone get their power centers are different. Basically dad has a mint condition 1994 wave raider sit down with a stock dual carb 701. im a diesel boat mechanic and i repower old engines with new up to date and more efficient engines pretty frequently. the process of putting an engine in a water vessel isnt a new concept from me and from what iv just learned the only real difference with a boat and a ski is they have midshafts that seal the water out and then a crank shaft to pump, where as a boat has a crank shaft that goes from prop all the way through the boat and to the transmission. seems a bit odd to have a system where their is an extra shaft but im sure their is a logical reason that i might find while i do my own build.

Purpose for ski: I want a surf ski, that i can ride at the lake if i want. i also want to do backflip, really bad.

Anyway, i haven't ripped apart the ski for 1 reason and that is because its perfectly good ski and the hull isnt ordered yet. (need about a month or so to clear for the funds) im asking for some help with people who either have a good thread for a similar system they ripped out and repowered another aftermarket hull with or people with some knowledge about yamaha and its complete drivetrain.
Currently I have my concerns with a few things as of right now that my head is trying to work out.
1 Iv seen a tigercraft v3 ski with a 701 bolted in which im assuming was because the hull designer actually made the wholes to bolt it straight down but this is assumption. is their a standard on these hulls now a days to receive a certain bracket or engine? are all 701 cases the same as far as engine mount positioning?
2 the everything on that sitdown except the gas tank, midshaft and shaft is probably usable? is their anything else i could prepare myself for as far as the powertrain is concerned? should i run the pump on that ski or is it like the fx1 pump that was terrible?
3 Apparently its oil injected, Im fairly certain i can just rip the system out and premix like god intended right?
4 Assuming i have all the right parts to assemble pump, pump drive shaft and then midshaft to engine, what is the proper way of aligning all of this? iv used feeler gauges between shaft couplings while aligning a boat engine to the prop shaft, is that do able?

Totally open to all suggestions and criticisms as i am totally aware that i am new and may not understand the entirety of things, but am truly grateful for anyone who can help.
THANKS!

Best recommendation if you're new to standups, start with a superjet, not an aftermarket hull. Aftermarket hulls are not always a bolt on and go hull.. many require some custom fab work to completely build and assemble depending on what power plant you plan to use. The tigercraft v3 is a decent hull, I have 2 friends with v3s. I definitely think if you're just getting into standup skis, don't start with an Aftermarket hull. Definitely get a superjet first, then grow into an aftermarket hull.

Best recommendation if you're new to standups, start with a superjet, not an aftermarket hull. Aftermarket hulls are not always a bolt on and go hull.. many require some custom fab work to completely build and assemble depending on what power plant you plan to use. The tigercraft v3 is a decent hull, I have 2 friends with v3s. I definitely think if you're just getting into standup skis, don't start with an Aftermarket hull. Definitely get a superjet first, then grow into an aftermarket hull.
X’s 2 on this. Do you want ride or build…

It all comes down to one question….how much do you want to spend. All newer am hulls are built to be used with 701/760 based motors. A decent parts ski is a nice to have but mainly for all the nuts and bolts. You can use the pump and mid shaft housing but will need a different mid shaft and drive shaft. You will need different things like a gas tank, hand pole and steering set up, steering cable, a different pipe and water box, prop for pump and a few other bits that add up. If you want to flip you are going to want to give the motor a little love. It gets expensive really quick. I would look for a used complete ski to get started.

It all comes down to one question….how much do you want to spend. All newer am hulls are built to be used with 701/760 based motors. A decent parts ski is a nice to have but mainly for all the nuts and bolts. You can use the pump and mid shaft housing but will need a different mid shaft and drive shaft. You will need different things like a gas tank, hand pole and steering set up, steering cable, a different pipe and water box, prop for pump and a few other bits that add up. If you want to flip you are going to want to give the motor a little love. It gets expensive really quick. I would look for a used complete ski to get started.
Give the motor a little love like rebuild or add more hps

701 (porting helps), b pipe and oem 155 in a good hull is a great first aftermarket ski in my opinion. That setup will flip on boat wakes and surf if you do your part. and then you have a good hull if you decide you want more power.

Give the motor a little love like rebuild or add more hps
Port it, and girdle head for more power, but since it would be apart might as well throw new pistons and a fresh bore. It can become a rabbit hole. Or just leave it stock and run it until you can’t take it anymore and want more power. That’s why the first thing you should figure out is how much you are willing to spend. Every thing also takes longer than expected. If you order a new hull it would be quite the accomplishment if you got it on the water by the end of the year. Hope I don’t sound like a d bag but a lot of us have found out the hard way. A lot of good info is on the site. Keep asking questions. We are all here to try to help each other.

I'd like to emphasize on how much more you'll be spending than you realize even with a donor ski. Unless the funds you're waiting on are significantly more than the price of the hull. Otherwise start shopping for everything 800750 mentioned. pipe, waterbox, pole, steering, bars/grips, cables, midshaft, driveshaft, gas tank, and add that to the budget. Plus the motor work and parts if needed/wanted

I'd like to emphasize on how much more you'll be spending than you realize even with a donor ski. Unless the funds you're waiting on are significantly more than the price of the hull. Otherwise start shopping for everything 800750 mentioned. pipe, waterbox, pole, steering, bars/grips, cables, midshaft, driveshaft, gas tank, and add that to the budget. Plus the motor work and parts if needed/wanted
I would agree...all the little things add up when building, its crazy.

Port it, and girdle head for more power, but since it would be apart might as well throw new pistons and a fresh bore. It can become a rabbit hole. Or just leave it stock and run it until you can’t take it anymore and want more power. That’s why the first thing you should figure out is how much you are willing to spend. Every thing also takes longer than expected. If you order a new hull it would be quite the accomplishment if you got it on the water by the end of the year. Hope I don’t sound like a d bag but a lot of us have found out the hard way. A lot of good info is on the site. Keep asking questions. We are all here to try to help each other.
I seriously appreciate all the help and suggestions. Building the ski will be challanging, but im okay with the challange regardless of time, havint had a ski for a while so its not like im missing ride time anymore than i already am. Also i dont want to nickle and dim myself to death and i could totally see where buying a used hull is a better option due to parts.

If you are up for it and take pride in riding something you assembled then I’d say go for it. Start out with a spreadsheet and get a list rolling of parts you will need.

If you are up for it and take pride in riding something you assembled then I’d say go for it. Start out with a spreadsheet and get a list rolling of parts you will need.
Ya i suppose ill look the cost for everything as of now and factor it all in. What are some other hulls like xfs and the v3 that might be around the same avenue of what i want to do if i decide to go used?

Xfs is the flat water ski, you would want an xfr, v3, v2, m1 (limited to 144/148 pump I believe) those are your best bets for a lake/surf ski if flipping is what you are after. But you will need a boat wave or an ocean wave to do so.

Top Bottom