Good starter mtb???

I am looking to get into biking as a hobby and means to exercise. I will probably buy used but am looking for some direction. I will more than likely do most my riding on gravel roads around my house, with the option to haul it and trail ride as well. I do live appx half a mile from the gravel road so the bike would see some pavement riding. Can you guys point me in a good direction for a beginner bike? Willing to spend 400 +\- if that's feasible.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Any mainstream manufacturer's hardtail would work. Trek, Fisher (owned by Trek now), Cannondale, Specialized, Kona, Giant, etc etc. Just make sure it's the right size. Once you ride for a while, you'll figure out what you want in your next bike.

Prolly just little trails for now until I get some miles on. I am 5'11" w a "broad shoulder" type of build. What size would that classify me under?

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
To bad you aren't closer I got a Trek 3500 for sale. Started off on this bike last spring to make sure I wanted to get back into it and moving on to a full suspension now. But was a good price and a good bike to start back on.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I'm 5'10" and ride a M/17", but it's your reach that determines frame size more so than height. I have longer legs than normal for 5'10" so my seat is way up which ends up stretching me out a bit too much on both my mtb and road bikes, so I need riser bars on the mtb and an angled stem on the road bike to keep my bars close to level to with the seat.

Any mainstream manufacturer's hardtail would work. Trek, Fisher (owned by Trek now), Cannondale, Specialized, Kona, Giant, etc etc. Just make sure it's the right size. Once you ride for a while, you'll figure out what you want in your next bike.

^This is exactly right. I am partial to Trek, fisher and Specialized because I worked at a shop that sold them for 5 years. Go to your local shop and try out the Med (17.5) and Large (19.5) frames and see which one you like best. Then keep an eye on craigslist for an aluminum framed hardtail thats a couple years old with shimano xt components. A good deal will pop up in the $400 range... heck I bought a Fuel 100 (full suspension carbon XTR race bike) for $550 off craigslist last year. You really dont want to mess around with lower quality components even if you dont ride "hard" trails... you'll end up tuning, adjusting and upgrading more than you ride.

motozachl

uPsiDeDoWn
For starting out I would suggest something on the cheaper side, hardtail. I got this old Giant Rincon for $75 over a decade ago and just not getting into mountain biking. Have already broken a few things but its getting beat to death. Will most likely upgrade as my skills progress and this thing totally falls apart, like everything else.

Attachments

• 0906121853.jpg
    0906121853.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 34
I don't know much about that bike in particular. But Cannondale makes a good aluminum frame and 29er's are pretty fun. It looks like its a pretty good value, but make sure you meet the seller at a bike shop and have the mechanic throw it on the stand, run through the gears and see what it needs. A new chain will cost you about $45 installed and if it's been ridden a lot and needs other drivetrain replacements or a fork rebuild you could be talking hundreds. A good bike shop will not charge you for a thorough run-through and estimate.

Top Bottom