Other GoPro or ContourHD

Looking into one of these two and thought I'd ask your opinions..seems GoPro has its share of the market however the Contour is a worthy adversary.

Let's hear it, preferably with reasons why you chose what you did...good or bad

Tyrant1919

Site Supporter
Contour. I like the slide forward to record thing. I will be getting a ROAM soon. Plus it has lasers. Seriously... Contours have lasers! Who wouldn't want a laser on their camera!?? I have never used or seen raw GoPro video. Although based on the Youtube videos I've seen, both would meet my video needs.

you can get go pro mounts accesories and camera's anywhere. The go pro also makes time lapses, serves as a high speed camera, regular camera and shoots video all in one package. I have the hd2 and it takes really crisp good pictures.

btmboards

Brett
the first gopro HD was good and I have it and the contour HD matched it well with performance but I think that the new hero2 is the best out there at the moment. I use go pro and a guy I hangout with has a Contour, the size of the cam itself is enough for me to prefer the gopro. Also I like the seperate case you get with the gopro. if you brake a case or scratch a lense you just replace it with need an all new cam. The buttons on the go pro are very easy to operate even when you can see the cam but they cant be accidently turned on or off, I feel like the contour could be.

Offroadie

Living the dream.
GoPro has quickly become the standard. I have not used a Contour... but I also haven't seen a Contour being used in any reality television shoots. The GoPro is producing footage that is ending up in prime time programming. It's easy to use, has multiple functions, is compact, lightweight, and fairly rugged (in it's case). IMO you get a product that FAR exceeds anything that is remotely comparable on today's market in the GoPro. They are affordable (for people in jetskiing anyway) and straight forward to use. I doubt that any other brand of action camera will surpass GoPro anytime in the near future.

GoPro has quickly become the standard. I have not used a Contour... but I also haven't seen a Contour being used in any reality television shoots. The GoPro is producing footage that is ending up in prime time programming. It's easy to use, has multiple functions, is compact, lightweight, and fairly rugged (in it's case). IMO you get a product that FAR exceeds anything that is remotely comparable on today's market in the GoPro. They are affordable (for people in jetskiing anyway) and straight forward to use. I doubt that any other brand of action camera will surpass GoPro anytime in the near future.

I have seen both used side by side in reality shows. I have a hero and contour roam. I like them both.

check this previous thread.

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/108417-GoPro-or-This-Camera

I've lost several GoPros because they don't float like the Contour. But Im going with a new GoPro 2 because they came out with a floatation accessory for the case. Contour is nice bc of the sliding record button but as stated it's huge.

I prefer the form factor of the contour, better for helmet mounting, the gopro's shape is odd. I wouldn't call the contour huge compared to the gopro. and the sound is better on the contour. there's things I like about both.

gopro-contour.jpg

I prefer the Contour, I have the Contour +. I have used both, and I like using the contour Muchhh more because of how easy it is out in the field. But, I tend to like the footage from go pros better. Have not used it for jetskiing yet but soon! just my opinion, Good luck!

In this video, I have the contour mounted looking forward on my helmet, and the gopro looking behind me on my helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE MY GOPRO!!! I have used both the Contour Roam and the GoPro snowboarding this year. As far as video quality they are very close. I found the go pro had better resolution and more true colour. Low light conditions the go pro came out on top as well. The contour does have a much sleeker shape, and looks more natural than the go pro. The go pro mounts are almost bomb proof. Ive put all of mine into every situation I could think of and never had a problem, not to mention they are easy to find. The Hero2 has a lot of still shot features which I take full advantage of. The contour is a nice camera, no doubt. But if I had to choose I would take the go pro.

Top Bottom