Other GOPRO tips and techniques

loictahiti

Site Supporter
Nice angle view, need to be shake in wave now ;-))

Your engine makes a strange noise with your Gopro , it's better to cut the sound, and put an another one in vid

Hope to see some barel and back with that

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
Nice angle view, need to be shake in wave now ;-))

Your engine makes a strange noise with your Gopro , it's better to cut the sound, and put an another one in vid

Hope to see some barel and back with that

Hopefully this weekend I will hit some surf! Yeah, it sounds bad, but I wasn't going to go crazy with the editing. It had a old rear side exhaust, may be why it's so bad

The interesting thing about the new Hero3. It films in a ton of different modes and speeds. I did some testing with 1080p with 60 frames per second. The quality is amazing, but the problem is, it is so high that you have to have one heck of video card in your computer or it will bog down quite a bit. My home computer was able to work with it no problem, but my lap top was getting it's a$$ kicked, lol.

Also, the hero3 has a bunch of different angles for filming - wide, normal and narrow. The wider, the more 'fisheye effect' you will get. I was mountain biking and I tried out both the narrow and medium and the difference wasn't too noticeable. When I went to wide, you could definitely see the fisheye.

Best thing I have noticed about the camera other than the quality, their iphone/android app is great. You can link up via wifi (black and silver) and see the view angle, etc thru your phone. Also, the interface with the phone allows you to change the angles, resolutions, frames per second, etc. You really don't need the remote that comes with the silver or black edition unless you want to be able to change settings in the water.

Pretty cool little camera. Much better than the old ones.

Scottie

The interesting thing about the new Hero3. It films in a ton of different modes and speeds. I did some testing with 1080p with 60 frames per second. The quality is amazing, but the problem is, it is so high that you have to have one heck of video card in your computer or it will bog down quite a bit. My home computer was able to work with it no problem, but my lap top was getting it's a$$ kicked, lol.

Also, the hero3 has a bunch of different angles for filming - wide, normal and narrow. The wider, the more 'fisheye effect' you will get. I was mountain biking and I tried out both the narrow and medium and the difference wasn't too noticeable. When I went to wide, you could definitely see the fisheye.

Best thing I have noticed about the camera other than the quality, their iphone/android app is great. You can link up via wifi (black and silver) and see the view angle, etc thru your phone. Also, the interface with the phone allows you to change the angles, resolutions, frames per second, etc. You really don't need the remote that comes with the silver or black edition unless you want to be able to change settings in the water.

Pretty cool little camera. Much better than the old ones.

Scottie

I've got Hero 3 black edition. Is the remote that it came with water proof? I thought it wasn't. I also use the App on my Android phone and I agree, it is awesome. You can access all of the settings right through the app on the fly. Very cool feature, but running the wifi will kill my battery in 35-45 minutes.

ya the remote is waterproof i just used mine the other week zipped tied to my bars works great! you dont need to ask the guys your riding with if its on cuz you can look down and see! specially when you have gloves on the buttons on the remote are way easier to press.

battery lasts about an hour with remote which is perfect for a tank of gas if your ripping hard

NISMOtuner

LIKE A BOSS!
Just curious, is there a certain setting that everyone uses when filming because when I mount my gopro on the front of my ski, it looks great. But if I mount it and try to film others riding, it looks like everyone is so far away that they are too small to see what's going on. The video looks horrible. And I can't get good enough video without getting close enough to have DNR come out and write me a ticket.

My remote died after using it two or three times in salt water. I liked using it when I had the camera mounted on my helmet. Probably going to order another one and cross my fingers that it lasts longer than the first.

SuperDrifter

Prototyper
Site Supporter
The iPad app is great, my new remote...w/ a 3 sec delay. But works well for set up.

I let it crunch the high res, then mix it down. no fish eye.

Digital Media Converter Pro is good(cheap) for loss-less compression

Last edited:
Just picked up a hero 3 silver edition and I'm interested in mounting it on the nose of my RN. What's the best location? Any pics?
I mount my gopro just to the right of the Yamaha emblem on the front of my RN and that gets a pretty good angle facing backwards towards you. If I am trying to film other people I mount directly over the emblem, facing forwards obviously. I use the gopro suction mount and that seems to work pretty decent unless you sub the ski. I can get some pictures if you still want them.

What do you guys do to keep the gopro from tipping forwards/backwards when it gets hit by the water??? Every time I go through a wave the camera will flip backwards and take pictures of the sky, or of the ski depending on which way it started out.

Top Bottom