Super Jet Got flywheel off, does this look normal? (pics)

Is it suppose to get this dirty? my stator is covered in oil. Also you can see where my bendix and flywheel have been grinding, is my flywheel ok to reinstall? I have a jetmaniacs bendix waiting to go in, also what all should I check while I have it opened up and should I clean it out with some degreaser? First time doing this so any help would be appreciated thanks.

zpfile004.jpgzpfile001.jpgzpfile002.jpgzpfile003.jpg

wsuwrhr

Purveyor of the Biggest Brapp
Your first two pictures are of pretty poor quality with glare to see a thing, and really doesn't show anything but dirt, third is out of focus.

Flywheel gear looks to me to need to be cleaned up or replaced.

What does the area look like behind the stator? That is what is important. Your front seal may be leaking.

DON'T HIT THE STARTER BUTTON WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!!!:fingersx::fingersx:

Brian

Last edited:
Your first two pictures are of pretty poor quality with glare to see a thing and really doesn't show anything but dirt, third is out of focus.

Flywheel gear looks to me to need to be cleaned up or replaced.

What does the area look like behind the stator? That is what is important. Your front seal may be leaking.

DON'T HIT THE STARTER BUTTON WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING!!!!:fingersx::fingersx:

Brian

Sorry camera phone isnt that great 2nd pic is pretty clear if you enlarge it. So I should take the stator out and what should it look like behind the stator?

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Read my other posts on this topic, but to touch on it briefly, once its open clean it up and either measure everyhing or replace it. Bushings in case, cover, bendix spring, two washers. While its apart is a great time to remove the starter and replace the seal that is most likely shot inside, grease the bearing and or replace, etc. Looks like your riding a newer ski so nothing should be missing, just worn out.

Read my other posts on this topic, but to touch on it briefly, once its open clean it up and either measure everyhing or replace it. Bushings in case, cover, bendix spring, two washers. While its apart is a great time to remove the starter and replace the seal that is most likely shot inside, grease the bearing and or replace, etc. Looks like your riding a newer ski so nothing should be missing, just worn out.

Ok thanks, I cleaned everything up so its ok that everything was covered in oil? Not sure about measuring and replacing, how am I suppose to know what the measurements should be and what to measure? This is my first time doing this so I am in the dark just hoping all you vets can help me out. :flowers1: It has a brand new oem starter hasnt even been turned yet. Im just worried about all of the oil that was in the case :dunno: and if its a major teardown? Ski was running fine besides the bendix problem...

Last edited:

Lucaumpits

RIDE LIKE U'VE STOLE IT!!
to me it looks like you had too much grease on the bendix and starter when you put it together , and with the with time spreaded all over

Waternut

Customizing addict
Looks totally normal to me but should be completely cleaned up. My flywheel cover usually pours diarrhea out of it and my flywheel looks way worse than that (I didn't do it). I'm hoping with a new flywheel cover gasket, it will stay cleaner but we'll see when I have to pull the cover again.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Do a leak down test after cleaning, then you will know for sure. Search on Leak Down Test. Hours on the motor?? What year is the ski and motor? Why a new starter, what happened to the last one? Put the new Jetmaniac Bendix in the case and cover, does it move back and forth a bunch when its in the bushing, cleaned w/no grease? It should be relatively snug. If you have calipers its around 12mm. Not sure what tools you have there to measure.

Wow, mine was very clean when i tore down my motor after my crank seized.
The flywheel looks fine to me, just make sure your spring that holds the bendix away from the flywheel is good (and there!) i forgot mine when i rebuilt my motor and found out quite quickly when i started it back up. And like mentioned previously, avoid the start button at all costs while its running or you will chew that flywheel and bendix up more.

I would go ahead and buy all new crank seals and replace them. Its not expensive or hard to do but its always helpful to have good seals. And it gives you a good chance to make sure your crank bearings are in spec. I would check the rod bearings and make sure they are in good shape while your there so you dont throw a bearing like i did and cause too much damage. Worst case scenario you find bad seals and a worn crank, or you just fix the seals, throw some new gaskets and yamabond on and have a freshened motor.

Do a leak down test after cleaning, then you will know for sure. Search on Leak Down Test. Hours on the motor?? What year is the ski and motor? Why a new starter, what happened to the last one? Put the new Jetmaniac Bendix in the case and cover, does it move back and forth a bunch when its in the bushing, cleaned w/no grease? It should be relatively snug. If you have calipers its around 12mm. Not sure what tools you have there to measure.

Not sure of hours on motor, guy I bought it from said it had low hours, but thats what everyone says...Its a 2004 sj, I replaced the starter because there was all sorts of grinding when I took it out and spun it by hand, I mightve been able to have it rebuilt but didnt want to bother.

I went ahead and cleaned it out real good. Put the new bendix in, spring looked fine. When I went to put flywheel back on and tighten I forgot I didnt have my flywheel lock on and the flywheel moved a little bit will that hurt anything? Also is it ok to run it with a leaking seal? Who knows how long its been like that, but it ran fine before...

Oh yeah forgot to mention my bendix doesnt engage it is just stuck, I took it out and tried to spin it and it wont budge, the one I got from jetmaniac spun nice and smooth with ease...so maybe the bad bendix ruined my old starter?

Last edited:
I dont think he flywheel will be a problem since its keyed it couldnt have moved anywhere unless im misunderstand what your'e saying.
I would look into replacing the seal if it is bad. It may run fine now but its not like its going to fix itself when you run it more. The better everything is sealed the more efficient your motor will run. Im sure you could throw the flywheel cover back on and go ride a few times but i would look into new seals as soon as possible. If the motor is already out of the ski its a very simple fix and wont cost much. Why risk damage when seals are cheap?

I dont think he flywheel will be a problem since its keyed it couldnt have moved anywhere unless im misunderstand what your'e saying.
I would look into replacing the seal if it is bad. It may run fine now but its not like its going to fix itself when you run it more. The better everything is sealed the more efficient your motor will run. Im sure you could throw the flywheel cover back on and go ride a few times but i would look into new seals as soon as possible. If the motor is already out of the ski its a very simple fix and wont cost much. Why risk damage when seals are cheap?

So I can just swap out the seal with a new one without taking the motor apart? Also can I get a new seal at a autoparts store or do I have to go to yamaha?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
You could remove the motor, flip the motor over and brace it, remove the lower case half. Slide crank up some, replace seals (Do All of them, front and rear), reset crank, clean mating surfaces, add sealant, replace bottom case assembly.

But to simply answer your question. No.

You could remove the motor, flip the motor over and brace it, remove the lower case half. Slide crank up some, replace seals (Do All of them, front and rear), reset crank, clean mating surfaces, add sealant, replace bottom case assembly.

Always keeping it simple.

Waternut

Customizing addict

I've done this before and it works really well. One thing to add is you have to remove the flywheel and coupler before you can change the seals and it is almost impossible to remove those when you've taken it apart. So do that first.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
You could also run the ski for awhile, then remove front cover again to check for oil leakage, etc.

Make sure you treat front cover area like another ebox that needs to be sealed 100%. Use 1211 of similiat on the nose of the starter to cases and around stator gommet and both sides of flycover gasket.

Top Bottom